Move Data between enviroments

jdewannab

List,
We have a problem that I believe would be common. We have done our conversions in Development enviroment and users has keyed some data in the prtotype enviroment that they want to keep. I want to know what is the best way to transfer the data between the two systems?

Problem: I am talking about Address Book, so the data in Prototype that needs to be copied to Development may have a address number that is already used in Development.

Would a Table conversion be best that way I can get next address book number and update it with that??

THanks,
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

At first let me two question:
1.) What is your system configuration (mainly OW release and SP level)?
2.) What kind of conversion have you done in the Development environment?

Yes, as you mentioned, the Table Conversion could be the best way and getting the next address book number.
If you made changes on the Address Book table then the spec of the table is different on Development and on the Prototype. I do not know that TC can handle this difference, maybe you have to create a temporary table to move the data.

If you have records in the related tables then maybe you have to move that records also taking care to synchronize the address book number to the master record.

Regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi Zoltán,
First off thanks for you help.
We are running OW XE on AS/400 SP15

We have not made modifications to the Address Book Table. I am thinking I can do a Copy with Input and copy the address book table records that we need (For instance search type J) from prototype to development and give it a next number before it writes to developement.

What do you think?
Jimmy Berry

Hi Jimmy,

As I have written previously, the Table Conversion is the most appropriate solution with a bit ER logic where you override the Address Book Number with the Next Number of the target system. Take care, you have to run your TC UBE under the Target system to acces the right Next Numbers.

What about the related address book tables (e.g. Who's Who, Contact Phone Numbers, etc.)? Do you have records there also or only in the F0101 Master? In the second case the task seems enough simple.

Regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

I do have to convert all tables (F0101, F0111, F0115, F0116, F0301, F03012, F0401)
I am thinking I can do this two ways.
1. Create Business view where F0101 is key to all other files.
2. Or create table to hold the old address number from F0101 and then convert the rest of the files by looking at that number

Thanks,
Jimmy

Back