More questions in one bunch - VARLEN size, ProcOpt parameter and Grid Cloumn limitations, etc.

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
More questions in one bunch - VARLEN size, ProcOpt parameter and Grid Cloumn limitations, etc.

Hi JDElist,

It looks like it, I will have an extreme challenge based on one of our customer. It is not technically extrem - it is extreme, because the requested solution requires numerous (more hundreds) Processing Option parameters and grid columns. This raises several questions for me. Release is XE SP 23.
Let's see in order.

#Q1.
How can I interprete exactly the Size parameter of a VARLEN (Variable Length Character Filed) like PODATA?
Is it a size constrain?

#Q2.
Is there any known limitation on Processing Options?
- number of elemnts, e.g. based on PO Id size
- the total size of fields (PODATA is VARLEN end its Length is 2000 in Data Dictionary)
I found the following in the Development Tools manual
[ QUOTE ]
Data Structure Objects
Data structure header size is 237 bytes.
Data structure item size is 72 bytes.
Maximum number of data structure items to fit in 32K is (32768-237)/72 for 450
elements.
In order to leave space for literal values you should limit your structure size to 350
elements or less. Any data structure approaching a size of 100 elements or more
should be considered carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

#Q3.
Is there any constrain on the number of Grid Columns?
I know the 250 constain on Form Controls, Table C and BSVW Columns, so I can suppose there is also for Grid Columns. BSVW constrain is not a hard for me, because I can add DD Items to the Grid, which is not BSVW field.

#Q4.
Is there any BSFN or other method, ti figure out, is there any error on a specied Grid Row? (I haven't found)

By the way, I try to influnce our customer to an other direction, suggesting alternative solution.

Thanks in advance & Regards,

Zoltán

Re: More questions in one bunch - VARLEN size, ProcOpt parameter and Grid Cloumn limitations, etc.

#Q3.Is there any constraint on the number of Grid Columns?

As per Oracle the limit within a form is not based on columns within a grid, but is a limit on the total number of controls (all types of form controls including grid columns) on a form. For releases Xe and ERP 8.0, 250 is the maximum number of controls a form can have.

Instead of processing options you could create a custom table to store all the values. This could help you out or make the situation worse depending on what you are programming.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: More questions in one bunch - VARLEN size, ProcOpt parameter and Grid Cloumn limitations, etc.

I did run into the DS limitation once, I can't remember what the max was, but at some point I couldn't pass additional params in a bsfn. This was in Xe btw, and if I remember correctly, the DSDA let me add the params, but the call to the bsfn failed.

Hi Matt,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

[ QUOTE ]
As per Oracle the limit within a form is not based on columns within a grid, but is a limit on the total number of controls (all types of form controls including grid columns) on a form. For releases Xe and ERP 8.0, 250 is the maximum number of controls a form can have.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned, I know the 250 Form Control limit (I already faced it more times
cool.gif

All labels, static text, edit field, check box, radio buttons, group box, etc. count as 1 control.

But as far as I know, Grid counts also 1 control, independently how many columns are on the grid.

To be sure, I made a quick test.

I created a test APPL whith a Find/Browse form. The BSVW of the grid contained 253 columns + I added 10 Data Item onto the grid, so the grid had 263 column. I also added some Filter Form Control onto the Form.

It worked - haven't received any error or warning neither at development time nor run-time.

By the way, in an other project I should extend one of my large, "multi tabbed" Fix/Inspect Form and I will be very close to this contrain again
cool.gif

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi Brian,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

[ QUOTE ]
the DSDA let me add the params, but the call to the bsfn failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, useful to know this.

Do you remember, have you got any warning during the Data Structure design time?

By the way, our client dramatically reduced their demands, after heared our preliminary estimation for this job
cool.gif
or
frown.gif

I am henceforward curious for these issues, mainly for:
[ QUOTE ]
#Q1.
How can I interprete exactly the Size parameter of a VARLEN (Variable Length Character Filed) like PODATA?
Is it a size constrain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks & Regards,

Zoltán

The data struct design aid never gave a warning or error. The bsfn call just failed.

Back