E9.2 MEP 9.0 SP12 with 9.2.6 TR on 64bit

JohnDanter2

JohnDanter2

VIP Member
Hi folks

Is anyone using MEP 9.0 SP12 with XML connector rather than AIS REST on their 9.2.6 64bit JDE installation?

Thanks

John

Do they support that? Last I checked, the only way it worked with 64 bit was AIS / Rest. I have a client now that won't upgrade DSI at all from an even older version, but wants 64 bit. I had to build them a 32bit server and they're stuck on 9.2.5.6.

Do they support that? Last I checked, the only way it worked with 64 bit was AIS / Rest. I have a client now that won't upgrade DSI at all from an even older version, but wants 64 bit. I had to build them a 32bit server and they're stuck on 9.2.5.6.
Hi

This is exactly why I am asking yes. DSI/MEP are saying they don't support their software on 64bit 9.2.6 only 9.2.5
I'm trying to work out if the calls will still work using XML connector on 9.2.6. I think they will. Then when we have time slowly change the XML calls to REST calls.
I just think it's a sign of DSI/MEP moving with the times rather than it NOT working at all

I don't want to miss out on 9.2.6 basically :) as it has too many cool features to ignore

If I remember from the last "fun" DSI meeting I had , they blamed Oracle for changing the way the xml connector worked in 64 bit and it does not work, so if my clients don't upgrade - I can't give them 9.2.6. Unfortunately, I can't say I ever tried it beyond the "we don't support it" statement.

If I remember from the last "fun" DSI meeting I had , they blamed Oracle for changing the way the xml connector worked in 64 bit and it does not work, so if my clients don't upgrade - I can't give them 9.2.6. Unfortunately, I can't say I ever tried it beyond the "we don't support it" statement.

Do you know if the XML connector 'works' in 9.2.6 and they don't support it as Oracle want us all on REST.
Or it doesn't work at all and that's why they don't support it.

As I want to suggest we still take 9.2.6 and use XML connector, then slowly change the calls to REST over time. Or phase it out all together.

Seems odd Oracle would do that. It must still work

DSI released a hotfix to support 64 bit processing earlier this year, but I believe you have to be on the latest and greatest MEP
(9.0 SP12 I believe). We are on 9.2.6 64 bit and calling our 64 bit AS400 installation via XMLCallObject with no issues.

DSI released a hotfix to support 64 bit processing earlier this year, but I believe you have to be on the latest and greatest MEP
(9.0 SP12 I believe). We are on 9.2.6 64 bit and calling our 64 bit AS400 installation via XMLCallObject with no issues.
Thanks Patrick

And you chose this even though DSI do not certify it? Do they still offer you support despite your choices, by any chance?

Thanks Patrick

And you chose this even though DSI do not certify it? Do they still offer you support despite your choices, by any chance?
Hi John - what do you mean that DSI does not certify it? This is a hotfix delivered by DSI and applied to our MEP installation. Help me understand your question. Thanks

Hi John - what do you mean that DSI does not certify it? This is a hotfix delivered by DSI and applied to our MEP installation. Help me understand your question. Thanks
According to DSI, we cannot upgrade to 9.2 using TR 9.2.6.x and connect to their DSI MEP via XML connector as they only certify their product upto 9.2.5.5 only.
They do certify their product with 9.2.6.x if we connect via REST API

So as a result we were forced to take 9.2.5.5. All due to DSI

Thanks John. I am going to reach out to someone I know there and get an official answer on this. Now you've got me curious....

Thanks John. I am going to reach out to someone I know there and get an official answer on this. Now you've got me curious....
Thanks Patrick

I would really like to hear what you learn back from this. So of it's OK I'll remind you in a few days.

Thanks

John :)

Patrick????

I've sent you a PM and replied here a few times now :) You're response is desperately needed please.
So please respond to either my PM or here please.

Thanks

John

Hi all, especially future readers

What I've heard is MEP are well aware they have lots of customers using XML connector and the statement all calls must now be REST was not sitting well with their customers.
so.....
MEP have added some magic middle layer that converts XML Call Object calls into AIS REST calls seamlessly behind the scenes.

MEP supply a large ASU with all the various Orchestrations around their BSFNs so the XML calls still work and apparently this midde layer is smart enough to assist with any custom E1 BSFNs you may have written yourself and added to their platform. The requirement is the Orch needs to be named exactly the same

So we are now taking 9.2.6 :)

We are also on as400 as well and moving to 64 bit soon on tools 9255. DSI suggested to move to REST connector, but we would rather stay on XML connectors for now if possible. If taking their latest hot fixes will help us achieve that then that would be great. Did you have any other issues at all?

We are also on as400 as well and moving to 64 bit soon on tools 9255. DSI suggested to move to REST connector, but we would rather stay on XML connectors for now if possible. If taking their latest hot fixes will help us achieve that then that would be great. Did you have any other issues at all?

I am overseeing 2 instances, one on 9.2.5 the other on 9.2.6
9.2.5 works as before, pure XML connector but this is is with RF Smart not DSI

9.2.6, DSI have apparently added some fancy XML to JASON convertor that then calls the same BSFN. How in gods green earth that works, I have no idea but I've asked my manger to humour me and switch off the AIS server on 9.2.6 just to test what they are saying

But for now the 9.2.5 and 9.2.6 works

John - from what I' understanding, they leverage the new ability to call BSFN's directly via AIS. If you check Doc ID 2812685.1, it mentions it. They must've built some sort of wrapper around what they had to call this instead.

There's some docs here as well... I guess that sort of make sense.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/applicat...2/rest-api/api-business-function-service.html

t.gif
t.gif

Yeah they've done something alright
What I can't fathom out is how ANY BSFN we throw at it works. I can understand their own ND3N BSFNS etc but we have some N57 BSFNS we wrote and called in 9.0 via MEP DSI, and these work too in 9.2

So there must be some sort of XML to JSON convertor at play
And they didn't supply any new ORCHs, so this makes sense yes, Their BSFNs are now called directly in the AIS using REST not actually by calling an Orch like we had to in 9.2.5 and below

Last edited:
Back