Media Objects: Save a file larger than 10MB???

natalieroberge

Hello,

Has anyone found a way to workaround JDE`s limitation of only being able to save an attachment that is smaller than 10MBs in F00165 ? We have a need to store larger files.

E910
Tools release 9.1.5

Thanks

Natalie

The limit is hard coded in the web application. Also be aware that media object file attachments are not actually stored in the F00165, just a link to them is. If nothing has been changed since installation your uploaded files will be stored on the deployment server.

The usual method to overcome this issue is to either use Media Object Queues or alternatively use a DMS and URLs in JDE.

Jas.ini have some setting related to file upload.

# Max file size for upload. Default 50 Mb
MaxFileUploadSize=50

Hello Russell,
I would like to know more about the media object queues or the DMS/URL suggestion. Would you be able to provide me a document that explains this solution. Thanks very much for your incite.

Natalie

Abhishek, The max file upload size does not apply to media objects hence our issue.

Hello Russell,
I would like to know more about the media object queues or the DMS/URL suggestion. Would you be able to provide me a document that explains this solution. Thanks very much for your incite.

Natalie

The system administration guide details how to set up media object queues and the foundation guide talks about using media objects. The options on how you deliver media objects are pretty varied but here two basic options:

1. Create a windows share drive with a fairly flat folder structure underneath. Give users read/write access to the appropriate folders for their AD role so that they can put the required files in the appropriate folder. You also enable an FTP service for the top folder for JDE (you can use SMB if you're running a Windows web server) so that the web server can read the queues. Then to attach the users select the appropriate queue from the dropdown list in JDE and then select the file. Users cannot upload files through JDE in this process so they need to get the file in the required folder first, before attempting to attach it to the JDE record. The two issues with this method are the amount of potential steps a users is required to complete to attach files in JDE and the security setup can be a pain for larger organisations.

2. If you use a document management system you can create URL attachments instead. All modern DMS products have a web interface which means that each file should have a unique URL. The user finds the file they want to attach in the DMS and then copies the URL and attaches this as a link in JDE. Depending on the capabilities of the DMS will depend on how the attachment is presented in the JDE UI. One thing to note with this is that you will want to have SSO functionality with your DMS otherwise when users go to access the files they may be required to enter their login details or just get 401 errors on their screen. The benefit of this method is that you can control access to file far more simply and also you only have one copy (ignore DMS versioning) of the file so if changes are being made to it after it is attached in JDE then those changes are instantly available (or not if you link to a particular version). The downside is that copying URLs can be a bit of a pain but not as painful as option 1.

There are other options including a hybrid of the two by exposing your DMS content through either FTP or SMB but this is the simplest explanation.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I will pass this on to our CNC Team and see what they decide. Much appreciated :)

Back