Media Objects in 9.0

Jack_Crouch

Well Known Member
I just got JPS900 up. One of my first questions had to do with media objects. In XE when you add a Text attachment media object, it would store that in the F00165 (blob) table of course. If you added any additional text attachments, then a GUID of sorts would be generated and put in the F00165 record. That GUID related to the name of a .txt file that really lives over in the MEDIAOBJECT directory. We have over 100,000 little txt files over on our deployment server. Yuck.

Looks like on release 9.0 as though they simply create another F00165 record for subsequent text attachments. Nice.

I am anxious to find out if the table conversion acutally reads these semi orphaned txt files off the old deployment server and inserts F00165 records. That conversion really work?

[ QUOTE ]
I just got JPS900 up. One of my first questions had to do with media objects. In XE when you add a Text attachment media object, it would store that in the F00165 (blob) table of course. If you added any additional text attachments, then a GUID of sorts would be generated and put in the F00165 record. That GUID related to the name of a .txt file that really lives over in the MEDIAOBJECT directory. We have over 100,000 little txt files over on our deployment server. Yuck.

Looks like on release 9.0 as though they simply create another F00165 record for subsequent text attachments. Nice.

I am anxious to find out if the table conversion acutally reads these semi orphaned txt files off the old deployment server and inserts F00165 records. That conversion really work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Related (somewhat):

http://blog.karamazovgroup.com/2010/05/enterpriseone-tools-release-8983-notes.html

The section on Improved User Experience talks about Media Objects conversion with the new TR.

Thanks. Interesting. You would think that as long as a conversion from RTF to HTML is in play... then maybe a good time to go for this would be during the Table Conversion routine for folks upgrading or even going through a tools release. I agree users should not be asked questions about this.

I think in our case I could basically say "for anyone who cares or knows what this is, any text objects you have will be converted from RTF to HTML when you log in on Monday because Oracle made a system change. Dern those guys anyway, nothing better to do."

We did the same thing in our exchange environment. As part of a log on script we set everyone's email format to HTML. Most people do not even know the difference (I don't think we got a single complaint from 1500 users.)

I was so sick and tired of these 15mb emails with one screen shot in them being sent all around. In HTML its 45k...

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Interesting. You would think that as long as a conversion from RTF to HTML is in play... then maybe a good time to go for this would be during the Table Conversion routine for folks upgrading or even going through a tools release. I agree users should not be asked questions about this.

I think in our case I could basically say "for anyone who cares or knows what this is, any text objects you have will be converted from RTF to HTML when you log in on Monday because Oracle made a system change. Dern those guys anyway, nothing better to do."

We did the same thing in our exchange environment. As part of a log on script we set everyone's email format to HTML. Most people do not even know the difference (I don't think we got a single complaint from 1500 users.)

I was so sick and tired of these 15mb emails with one screen shot in them being sent all around. In HTML its 45k...

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I was in Denver we asked for a mass conversion process for this.

Back