Making Auto Suggest more user friendly

dschleicher

Auto Suggest is great, but it isn't as user friendly as it could be. For instance, when in Accounts Payable and using it in the Supplier Number field, it will not only display Suppliers, but all Address Book records - Customers, Employees, Organizations, etc. In payroll, I set up an Auto Suggest on the ENDYOW field (which is the item for the Employee Indentification field) using the F060116 - this prevents Suppliers, Customers, etc. from being displayed, but it displays terminated employees, which generally speaking are not desired. There is no way to add any data selection to the Auto Suggest Business View to limit the returned records.

Therefore, I came up with an idea that I hoped would work. We created a SQL View named F56EMPAS, and added criteria based on Pay Status (PAST) in the SQL View to only include Active employees. We then created a virtual table in JDE with the same name - F56EMPAS. I then used this table in my Auto Suggest Business View. However, while the Auto Suggest did work with this setup, it ignored the criteria in the SQL View, and displayed all employees regardless of Pay Status.

Does anyone know of anything I could do differently to make this idea work? Or has anyone else come up with a different method of adding data selection to an Auto Suggest Business View?

Thanks,

At the extreme risk of sounding really stupid...

What is auto suggest?

Hi Dave,
I've done a very similar thing for adjusting the data displayed in an auto-suggest view, however, I've stayed within JD Edwards. For example if you want to limit a list, create a custom table in JDE that has the values you want want to display. Then create a custom auto suggest view that has a join to that table.
A simple example would be displaying customers only on a customer number auto-suggest. The Custom table would have just one value, (C for search type). So when joined to the F0101 on search type, would display only customers.
Marshall

Brian, it's a new feature in 9.1 & up. Check Oracle ID 1480526.1.

("Auto Suggest is a user interface feature which enables users to search for and filter text on fields where Auto Suggest is enabled. Auto Suggest searches pre-defined tables and returns records that match text you type into a field. As you type text into a text field, one or more possible matches for the text are found and immediately presented to you in the grid around the field. This immediate feedback enables you to stop typing the entire word or phrase for which you are looking. Instead, you can choose a record from the list that displays.")

Thanks. Sounds useful. We are moving to TR 9.1 this year so maybe I will get a chance to play around with it.

Marshall - Great idea!! I thought of creating a custom table and populating it with the Customers (for example), but then it would need to be refreshed continually from the F0101. Your idea will work very well for us, as we have 28 separate production environments (all separate legal entities) and they have flexibility in how they set up their data, so while they are all using "V" for Suppliers, some are using "V1" for a one time vendor, others are using "VT" for a temporary vendor, etc. This way each could populate the custom table to match their needs (or maybe we could just read the F0401).

Brian - to add to Remo's response, where Auto Suggest is enabled it can mostly eliminate the need for the visual assist. The concept (being able to type text into an Address Number field, for example) is great, and users love it.

Thanks,

Marshall: Simple & elegant. Will keep it in mind! Thanx from me as well.

Just to clarify, you need both Apps 9.1 and Tools 9.1+ to use Auto Suggest, so just a TR upgrade won't be enough to use Auto Suggest.

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify, you need both Apps 9.1 and Tools 9.1+ to use Auto Suggest, so just a TR upgrade won't be enough to use Auto Suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I won't be using it any time soon then.

Back