Linking Equipment Drawings to Equipment Numbers and Equipment Parts Lists

hjphillips

Good afternoon!

Would any other Equipment Maintenance users be willing to share if and how you are linking equipment engineering drawings to equipment numbers, work orders and equipment parts? We have been using the equipment maintenance module for almost 20 years, but without pictures. However, this year we are building a new machine and want increase the amount of information available (including pictures) to our maintenance guys for this new machine. We are starting fresh within JDE for this machine and want to do it right. Many years ago I had seen a demo of an integration into IGS, however, the IGS integration was removed with the latest 9.2 release. I am hoping a few of you will share how you are handling the maintenance drawing links.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!
Heather

Applications 9.2
Tools 9.2.0.5
IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) v7.1
DB2 UDB v8.2
Web Server: WebLogic 12.1.3.0.6
IE 11.0.9600.18312

What are your requirements? Do you require a feature rich interactive solution like LinkOne or do you just want to ensure that drawings and specifications are available on work orders etc for both equipment and parts?

We have customers that are doing both but there is a significant difference in effort, complexity and cost between those two spectrums.

Hi,

If you are on that release of E1, then the media object capability you have is quite advanced.
Have you looked at media objects linked to the records you are interested in or not?

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16582_01/doc.91/e15090/wrking_with_wrk_orders.htm#EOACA00417
17.6.5 Setting Processing Options for the CAM - Manage Work Order Parts Program (P13730)
17.6.5.8 IGS

They discuss here how to link IGS with E1 with a similar module
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16582_01/doc.91/e15090/intro_to_cam.htm#EOACA00201

Last edited:
Thank you Russell and John for your replies.

Russell - I am not familiar with LinkOne. Is this the website: http://dstechwrite.com.au/linkone/? I think the interactive solution is what they would ideally want, however, I do not know if they will want to pay for it...

I working on setting up a few sample equipment with a media object attachment, but I must be missing something as I can't figure out how to do a link to a file now that OLE is gone. It would be a requirement to not have to re-upload the attachment whenever changes are made. In the implementations where media objects are used, is the media object attached to the parent equipment? If a work order is entered at a subcomponent that doesn't have an individual drawing for it, can the system pull in the parent drawing? How about for parts - is the attachment added to the equipment parts list or to each individual component on the parts list? Any insight would be helpful.

John - we are on 9.2 so according to Oracle IGS integration is not available to us.

Thank you so much for your assistance!
Heather

EOne 9.2
Tools 9.2.0.5
IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) v7.1
DB2 UDB v8.2
Web Server: WebLogic 12.1.3.0.6
IE 11.0.9600.18312

Yes, that is the LinkOne product. Takes a lot of effort to implement, integrate and maintain so you need to be sure it will deliver value in your business. I don't think the IGS product even exists any more but I'm happy to stand corrected on that one.

In terms of attaching your media objects you have two options instead of upload. One is define a media object queue and then load the objects into that. The other method is to use some form of documentation management system for document storage and then use HTML links from E1 to the appropriate record.

If you want attachments to automatically attach to the work order then they need to be attached to the model work order rather than the equipment or inventory records.

One solution we've used at a customer that was using Sharepoint to store all of their documents was to create a CafeOne page that showed a sharepoint search with the equipment number as search criteria. This way they could find relevant information without having to go through and try to create attachment records in JDE and it meant they could get to the documents easily for all work order types, not just scheduled work.

Here's what we do Heather.
All engineering drawings have a PDF copy generated at check-in time. The PDF file is moved to a separate server where we have a simple Microsoft IIS web server running.
To display a drawing there is a URL of which a portion is fixed and the trailing part is the <Drawing ID>.pdf

In JDE on a form place a button titled "View Drawing". In the event rules for the button construct a URL from the known fixed portion and the variable (drawing ID) portion.
Use the System Function "GoTo URL" and pass the URL string variable. That's all you need to do.

Works for us for ~ 170,000 drawings

I don't know why I didn't think of this too as I actually did the same thing for a company before.

Except it wasn't a url it was a JPEG on the form, but made up and pointed to the same way. I'd actually overwrite the target file from a network location of files all labelled with the asset number (it was for viewing bus stops :))

Back