Line type W (sales), automating work order completion

Aarto

Aarto

Reputable Poster
Hi!

We are currently using kits in sales order process where we take 2 or 3 components out of stock for each kit (commercial item) being sold. This is an oil business so the kits are set up with percentage.

Customer now needs to start using load- and in-transit functionality and this does not behave well with kits and there are all kinds of other problems with kit handling as well.

I would like to replace the kits and set the kit items up with line type "W" in stead to generate a work order. This would be the simplest possible work order with only a dummy routing step and the parts list automatically attached to the work order by running to WO process UBE.

If the quantity changes when user is ship confirming the order, a custom UBE would update the work order quantity with the ship confirmed quantity from the sales order.

After this update, i would also like to run automated completion of the work order without any user interaction.

So..
1. Create sales order with line type "W"

2. Run WO processing UBE (standard) to attach parts list and dummy routing

3. When user ship confirms the sales order, autoamtically update related WO with the quantities and perform completion with superbackflush

I would appreciate any tips/pointers from you out there. Has anyone done anything similar? Basically, we will go for the simplest possible WO process that should be totally automated.

Release 8.12 tools 8.98
Regards..
/Aarto

I have used this at a company where they used this functionality extensively and modified it (OneWorld XE).
-Check the processing options of P31114 work order completions. There are tabs here which will update the sales order (qty, lot status). I don't think it will work the other way as you have described through ship confirm.
-If automating WO completions make sure any mods in interactive P31114 are done in R31114Z1 (e.g., versions P4210 to call), they can behave differently.
-Line type W works well if your company makes exactly the WO quantity with the SO quantity.

-There are limitations on the line type W functionality. Overcompletions will not overcomplete the sales order line.
P31114 business functions were modified to update the sales order to handle overcompletions.
-If using Lot No, undercompletion of the WO will split remaining qty on Sales order lines open. You have to decide how do handle these open lines if you are never going to meet the sales order line.

Hope this helps!

You would have to customize P4205 to do this. I would recommend calling a version of R31410 (where you can specify a version of the Issues program and a version of the SuperBackflush program) from P4205. You need not attach a parts list or print anything from this version of R31410 that is called from P4205. R31410 will do all the work for you - issue the components, complete the WO, update the Sales Order etc.)

My 2 cents.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Aarto,

Have you considered using Advanced Pricing Free Goods to automatically attach all of your Items to the order based on the entry of a single Item/line?

Regards,

Hi Matt! Thanks for your comments. I was under the impression that R31410 did not do completions but only the routing/rating and issues. Also, i believe we also need mod it to update the quantity on the WO from the ship confirmed qty.
The work orders should always be completed to the quantity that was ship confirmed. As this is an oil business, the ship confirmed quantity (volume) will always be different that the ordered one.

If R31410 does the completions as well then we could modify P4205 to
1) update related WO quantity
2) call R31410

This sounds like a doable approach, thanks

/Aarto

Thanks Craig!

Actually, i do not think this will cut it with the customer as they will want to have the recipes (BoM) for these products maintained the same way as BoM for products that are blended to stock using "real" work orders.
But this could be just what we need for something called "commercial items"

Example: customer stores base product A in a tank. This product is sold under different names based on what "spec" customer orders. So the product on the invoice can be "X" or "Y" (even for the same customer) but what they physically get is "A"

We could not resolve this using cross references as the above can be true (same product, different name and price) on a single invoice to one customer

To solve this, we used kits as well. The BoM only had one component line and this worked just fine until now when we need to start using transportation/loads. The Free goods adjustment could be just what we need here in stead of setting these items up with line type "W" as well.

Thanks
/Aarto

Aarto,

Not clear if this is bulk or packed volumes (you mention oil), as if this was an additive type scenario where the stocked product is not necessarily the blended product sold, then there are some alternative solutions that I've implemented that 'create' the volume at Ship Confirm based on product matrix definitions (i.e. 1LT A = (1LT B + 0.5LTC)). This way you sell to your customers what they buy, but internally your inventory and cost is updated based on the actual product used. Doogie

Hi Doogie! That's exactly wat we are doing here..
The products (components) are set up as bulk and will be blended in-line to the truck/ship. In most cases we use a standard recipe to draw out the components and take care of the differences (standard vs. actual recipe ) as part of the stock reconciliation.

/Aarto

You can specify the version of the WO Completions program (P31114) in the processing options of the version of the SuperBackflush program (P31123) specified in the processing options of R31410. So then R31410 will do the WO completion.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi I have a problem.The Work order is not getting created for certain cuastomer item combinations.How do i investigate.Please help!!!

Back