Line Print

Mpeter

Well Known Member
Hello Listers,

Have any one tried printing Vertical lines in a Report. Please let me know if there is any procedure in place which wil help me
I tried some of the manuals and designed the Overlay and tried to overlap on my custo report and in the spool i couldnot see the Lines. I even tried printing a hard copy but I still donot see any lines on my report.

Can any one please help me.

Thanks
Mark!

Mark,

You don't state the hardware or software versions you are using.
You've read the manuals for WHAT?

Please provide more detail.

The best I have ever been able to do is to use the vertical bar character. Yes, it is kludgy.

Gene,

I must apologise for not posting the Version details. I do that but in a hurry , I didnot.

I went through the manuals which will describe me how to print the Vertical lines in Report(Printer File).

With the help of the manual(Advanced Printing utilities) I created a Overlay and Overridden my this Overlay onto my Printer file but still I donot see the Vertical Lines.

Is there any procedure to print Vertical and Horizontal lines in my report. I should not Hard code it using '|' or '---' symbol.

Thanks
Mark
AS400, Worldsoft, A7.3 Cum 12, V5R4 version.

Mark,

Which JDE print file are you referring to?

What type of print file is it - SCS or AFPDS? As far as I know, nearly all JDE print files are SCS based at Cum 12. In fact, I don't believe the SVR even provides the ability to specify the device type for print files so it defaults to SCS...which is the IBM default for the CRTPRTF command.

What type of output device are you printing it on? You certainly do not want to generate graphical lines on a dot-matrix printer. How is the device defined? Is it a remote writer or a host printer?

If your referring to one of the standard JDE print files then as far as I know they're created as SCS files by default. Last I knew, in order for SCS print files to be used with an overlay, they must be sent to an IPDS printer.

You might try recompiling the JDE print file as AFPDS, recompile the associated program, attach the overlay and then send it to a laser printer.

Attempting to perform special printing like graphics, lines, watermarks, etc. requires careful consideration and can get complex very quickly depending on your print file definition, printer device descriptions, etc. Typically, it is not for the faint of heart ;-)

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for your Quick response
We basically designed a Custom report in SVR and we need to attach the Overlay.

We are using a Laser Printer. I have created a Overlay ,complied my Printer file with *afpds and then OVRPRTF(Myreport) FRONTOVL(OVL1)

and then compiled my RPG program, and triggered it. It generated a Spool with out any Lines. I tried printing it on my local printer but no Use.

Please let me know if I am missing anything in the Setup part.

Thank you
Mark

Mark,

What do you mean by a local printer? Is it a Client Access print session, a remote writer or a host printer? You can't print AFPDS print files to a Client Access print session.

If your using an *APFDS print file then I would recommend that you use the LINE keywords if possible because they are much easier to work with.

Terry
(tgif)

I don't think you can see the overlay when looking at the spool file.
I think it happens when physically printing.

Are you seeing ANYTHING from your overlay?
If so, at least that part it working and its only the lines that are an issue.
If not, my guess is the overlay isn't working at all.

Gene

Back