Knowing what you know now....Would you do it again??

dthomas

Hi JDE List -

We are evaluating various ERP solutions and JDE OW is on our short list. Knowing what you know now...would you recommend JDE OW Xe on an NT/2000 platform on top of SQL Server for a company with 75 users in one location??

It seems the Xe release is better!?!?

Does the web client solution work as advertised?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Dave Thomas
IT Director for a company in NH

The #1 FREE E-mail on the Internet at http://www.Gotmail.com. Your Gotmail email address is available to you around the world anytime, all the time.

Yes, so far I would have to say I'd do it again, however, we aren't live on it. We haven't come across any major problems as of yet, closest thing we have encountered as a flaw is that there isn't an integrated ups interface, and the distribution kitting features don't work like we would have hoped.

xe 14.2/SQL 2000/2000 TSE/Oct1 GoLive/80users

We would do it again! We are using an AS400 for the Enterprise, and NT/SQL for the deployment, plus Citrix for WAN (Thin)clients.

So far XE has been a smooth implementation. When we first went to OneWorld in 98/99, we had a lot of work ahead of us. But this was regardless of whether we went with SAP or JDE, or some other ERP software. No matter which direction you take, there is still going to be a lot of work involved when your looking at ERP software...it isn't going to be a piece of cake! HOwever, i would have to say that the XE implementation went about as perfect as it could of! We only have a few minor issues, but they are not critical. Also, even when we went live back with OneWorld version B732, we never lost a day of business. I have heard horror stories about other companies, and the ERP packages they chose!!!

I don't know about the web client version, but I have heard it works pretty good. You can also go with the Citrix (terminal server) solution, as it works quiet well.

This is the best answer I can give, because I know no matter which road you take, there is always going to be bumps. JDE is an established company, who has been around for over 25 years.

Good luck with your decision, as I know it is not easy.

Dave,

as far as the platform goes you should have no problem supporting 75 users on a properly configured Wintel solution such as you describe.

Its not a matter of XE being better - its just the current release of the product. The XE moniker was a marketing gambit - the product is really just version B73.3.3 as opposed to the previous B73.3.2 version.

We don't use the Web Client so I can't speak there.

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE SP15.1

Ken -

We have written an interface to UPS WorldShip pulling address info from OW
address book based on pick slip and sending back tracking number. Contact me
directly if you would like to discuss further.

[email protected]

Dave,

Good question and good choice of forums! Are you going to use all three of
financials, manufacturing and distribution? Since those I've seen replying
have not mentioned whether or not they have implemented the entire suite,
this may be something worth noting.

[email protected]
JDE Xe, SP 15.1, AS/400 not live yet.

Hi Dave,

1 - Yes, based on your requirements (75 users - you didn't mention anything about modules but I'll be assuming your basic needs are Finanacial & Distribution), I would recommend Xe on a Microsoft established path (Win & SQL Server 2K).
As you already got a suggestion, using one Citrix Terminal Server for some 20 clients will save you some JDE licensing amounts.

2 - Yes, Xe is the best release ever.

3 - Don't know about Web clients, yet; we'll be looking into this issue the moment we'll take the Web Server into consideration.

You're welcome,
Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst

LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806, FormScape 2.1
SANDBOX: Xe SP15 & Update1, Oracle 8i
RS/6000, Citrix

Dear all JDE Listers....

Thanks for the many responses, it was very helpful and I am glad to hear so many have had positives experiences with JDE.

We plan on implementing just financials and distribution.

Dave

The #1 FREE E-mail on the Internet at http://www.Gotmail.com. Your Gotmail email address is available to you around the world anytime, all the time.

Dear all JDE Listers....

Thanks for the many responses, it was very helpful and I am glad to hear so many have had positives experiences with JDE.

We plan on implementing just financials and distribution.

Dave

Dave,

I am not sure whether you are looking for responses on technical or application front. Since you are implementing Distribution and Finance suite I would say you have the right choice - OW. JDE Financial suite is currently #1 as compared to the other ERP. Distribution is the heavily modified suite at all ERP implementation, also it depends on the customization requirements.

On the technical front Wintel solution should not have any issues. OW development platform is getting better and better.

jdeman

Back