Keying UPCs in Item Master

magpie

We will soon be adding UPCs for a couple dozen items. I was looking at the Storage/Shipping row exit from Item Master, which is where Oracle told me the UPCs should be entered. This screen requires the manufacturer's prefix to be entered in UDC table 41/UC. Our manufacturer's prefix is 6 digits, so the UDC adds a zero to the front of it, because the UDC code is a 7 digit field.

When we enter our UPCs, this leading zero is retained. Is this correct, or am I missing something? At this time, we are not concerned with SCC128, just entering UPCs.

Our UPC format is 6+5+1, which I think is fairly typical. The 6-digit manufacturer's prefix, the 5-digit unique item identifier, and the check digit.

I just went to look at my notes and realize I've lost (or left) 6 months of documentation that I previously wrote up.

So now I'm just digging at vague memories, but from what I recall the preceding 0 will be dropped.

Additionally, I don't believe you should enter the check digit when you add UPCs to your Item Master. There are business functions that will calculate them automatically when they are needed (such as EDI shipment notification)

Now, off to see if I can find those old notes...

Thanks. i haven't seen anything to indicate that the check digit shouldn't be entered. If you've found your notes, I'd be interested in what you've found.

Back