JXMLTool?

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Legacy Folks....

Recently I came across an interface that appears to use JXMLTool.

I'll be honest, I haven't had the opportunity to work with XPI, BSSV or much beyond Flat-File and Interface-Table interfaces. The magic that happens with Web Services, XML Portability, BSSV and the old XPI is outside my skill set.

That said, if anyone is aware of some documentation regarding JXMLTool or some really decent stuff on XPI or Web Services for 8.0 - I'm interested in a directive pointer!

Appreciated!

(db)

Attached is what I had for 8.12.

Attachments

• 180819-JXMLTool(E812_898).doc
    35.4 KB · Views: 239
Thanks B,

Now, I just need to get my mind around it all and see how one might upgrade from 8.0 to 9.x... without breaking that type of interface.

Thanks for the doc!

(db)

db,

Are you saying that someone was using the actual JXMLTool as an interface? or just the whole XMLCallObject through Java paradigm?

Craig

Craig,

That's the part I can't get my head around.

The PID of the inbound transactions are "JXMLTool", but that might have been leftover coding from 'years ago'...

I have no BSSV or XPI experience - thus, I've only been addressing data that has already been brought in via the web service. And, the client uses other firms to define the interaction (and some of those firms no-longer exist). I don't know what 'they' are actually using to do the exchange.

Recently I was asked to map out the architecture in some detail - I don't have BSSV/XPI/XML under my belt - I'm stuck =D

Are you familiar with XPI, JXMLTool and / or the Legacy stuff? If so, I want discuss off-list.

(db)

As far as I know JXMLTool was just the name of a utility developed someone in JDE support. If you look at the source code for JXMLTool (there is an Oracle Support document with code attached) you will see the persons name, I don't recall it offhand.

All that JXMLTool does is use the Java XML Call Object API's. It is pretty barebones and lets you paste in an XML Call Object request and get a response document. Perhaps your 8.0 site is using a program built around the JXMLTool skeleton and they maintained the JXMLTool name.

XPI is more integrated with the internals of JDE i.e. JDENET and the like. It essentially uses the same approach as the Java Dynamic Connector for JDE. Personally I prefer the XML Call Object approach for its more loosely-coupled integration.

XML Call Object still works just fine in 9.x. I think the best known product using the interface is DSI's dcLink. They seem to have a good relationship with Oracle and a large established JDE customer base. Despite the move to BSSV's I don't see XML Call Object going away.

Well said Justin.
laugh.gif

Not much to add other than XMLCallObject can be done via a C/C++/C#/VB client app as well.

I put together a tool in Java to do something similar to the JXMLTool. JDEXMLBSFN

[ QUOTE ]
Well said Justin.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
+1

We make HEAVY use of XMLCallObject AND we also have DSI's dcLink. XML Call Object has worked great for us but we would like to start porting our stuff over to Business Services since we feel that is where everything is headed. XMLCallObject is probably not going away any time soon, however, BSSV will probably be *better* supported in practice since that seems to be were all Oracle's emphasis is for an interop solution.

Back