Journal posting reversal method

zoran

In my country's legislative & business practice it is a rule that reversed entries are shown with a minus on the same side.
Now, reading JD Edwards Enterprise One General Accounting 9.0 Implementation Guide I found this explanation for reversing:
“After you post a journal entry, you cannot change it to a reversing journal entry on the Journal Entry form. Instead, you must do this in sequential order:
• Void the entry.
• Resubmit the batch to post.
• Re-enter the journal entry as a reversing journal entry.”
It really does not tell which method is used, if I understand this correctly.
Oracle EBS, R 12.1, for example, allows user to choose the method. This is a quotation from the General Ledger User's Guide:
“In the Reverse region, select a reversal method from the Method drop-down list.
Switch Dr/Cr: General Ledger creates your reversing journal by switching the debit and credit amounts of the original journal entry. This method is often used when reversing accruals.
Change Sign: General Ledger creates your reversing journal by changing the sign of your original journal amounts from positive to negative. This reversal method is often used when reversing journals to correct data entry mistakes."

Does anybody know which method JDE Enterprise One R 9.0 uses?

I just checked the 9.0 documentation, and it looks like there have been no changes in 9.0.
In the account ledger table (F0911), debits are stored as positive values and credits are store negative. There are not separate fields for debits and credits.
Origionally, in the account balance table (F0902) only the net posting is recorded. However the table currently holds net postings and debit (positive) postings. Credits can then be calculated. This change was made for country-specific statutory requirements.
Based on this table structure, base JDE does not support negative debits and negative credits for reversing entries.
The functionality you cite for EBS does not apply to E1. Oracle eBus, PeopleSoft Enterprise and JD Edwards EnterpriseOne were all developed separately and the functionality of each product is unrelated.
When there is a statutory requirement, JD Edwards has historically created country-specific functionality (in the 70s system codes). Your profile shows USA as your country, which I have to assume is incorrect based on your query. Typically, the larger the JDE presence in a country, the more likely it is there will be solutions for statutory requirements.
I suggest that you contact Oracle support for EnterpriseOne to determine if there is a regionalization for this requirement.

Tnhanks, Brad, this was usefull. Reversing will certainly be an localization issue here. My country is Croatia.

On second thought there might be a way to do negative debits and credits. It would require a localization to flag transactions so the negative amounts in F0911 would reduce the debit column in F0902.
Even though Croatia is probably not a major market for JDE, if there is a larger market for the same requirement, you might be able to "piggy-back" on it.

Back