Join Business View with Multiple Instances of the Same Table

dpelchat

Just for your information... Another undocumented feature from JDE:

My case description:

Hello, we created a custom UBE. The business view used for this UBE uses 4 tables: The F1721, the F0101 joined on the F1721 on the customer # (AN8=AN8), the F1201 table joined on the F1721 by the asset # (NUMB=NUMB), and lastly the F0101 again, joined on the F0101 by the Address Number-Lessor (LANO=AN8). We need to do data selections on address book category codes AC01-20 on the first instance of the F0101, and AC-21-30 on the second instance of the business view. The business view fields were carefully chosen to reflect this.

When we launch the report from a fat client in fat32 mode to the server, the data selections are fine, meaning that the proper cat codes get selected from the proper F0101 instance.

When we launch the same version from the local JAS to run in the server, however, we see that the data selection on those category codes only point to the first instance of the F0101.

The reply from JDE:

Hi David,
Thank you for creating great notes when you created the case. I'm sending information from solution 201052273 which I believe will address your issue.
SOLUTION ID:201052273: E1: TDA: Join Business View with Multiple Instances of the Same Table

ISSUE:
Using a join business view that contains multiple instances of the same table works fine on the fat client, however this business view does not work on the web client. Why not?

SOLUTION:
A join business view that contains multiple instances of the same table is not supported on the web client. SAR 7207928 has been entered for the issue, however currently the change in functionality is not planned.

The following is development feedback on the issue:
Currently in HTML client, we could not support such use case, since in Data Selection screen, if the table names are the same, we cannot tell which table the BC is really from, since currently in the generated serialized object for Data Selection spec, we do not generate and save the information about table instance for each entry on the data selection. In this case, table name alone is not enough to distinguish the two entries which have the same Data Dictionary name and table name, but are from a different table instance. This is a gap in the current HTML client Data Selection, but to fix this issue, it would require changes made across many different module areas, such as Generator, HTML client runtime engine, foundation, and report processing in the enterprise server side.

Therefore, an application that is based on a join business view with multiple instances of the same table will not function on the web client. This type of business view is not supported.

I realize this probably is not what you want to hear but the type of business view you have designed will not function on JAS.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Thank you

My workaround is to create a new custom table that will point to an SQL view (which will be a simple select from the F0101).

Thanks for sharing about this "feature".

You might have saved me some re-work on a current project.

Cheers,

Back