JDEList: A note of caution

ekempter

ekempter

Administrator
It has come to my attention that some JDEList forum/mailing list members have been contacting JDEList posters via e-mail and are requesting their home addresses. I want to caution everyone that in these troubling times you should be very cautious about giving out your personal information. JDEList does not give out any personal information that we receive from you.

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

I'm sure I am not the first to suggest this idea to you, but here goes:

Wouldn't it be a great idea to store in each person's profile the data necessary to negate having to continually tell/encourage everyone to "Place your system configuration information in your signature!". Properly done, the config-signature would be automated and published during each post/response.

As I envision it, users would only have to update the info initially and thereafter only when it changed. The user would always would be presented with it just prior to an initial post or when responding to a post and could make dynamic signature changes (and thereafter go to their profile and make them permanent).

The profile would need to record the following things, among others:
1. The current hardware/software characteristics of the Deployment server (Make, model, CPU speed, amt of memory, amt of hardrive space, Operating System,
service packs/patches applied, JDE software release and upgrades/ESU's/patches, etc.).
2. Salient LAN/WAN characteristics (ethernet vs. token ring, bandwidth/speeds, etc.)
3. The Enterprise server (same things).
4. Java server(s) if being used (same things).
5. HTML server(s) if used (same things).
6. Citrix servers/clients
7. Fat clients
8. Where important "things" are located (e.g. Common Objects under SQL vs on an iSeries/AS400, plus others) and whether any are dispersed across multiple servers.

DON'T allow defaults (i.e., make the user respond to each and every detail item even if the response is "Don't know"/"Not applicable"), unless the "superior" item is marked "Not applicable" (i.e. a non-existent HTML server doesn't have a Make, model, etc).

The signatures would be consistent and would be auto-inserted after the text of the post/response, and would ALWAYS be there.
Let me know what you think?

P.S. we're still on World JDE but planning to go to Xe down the road (thus, I don't have a 1W "signature").

-
\\\\\|/////
( o o )
---------------oOOo-----(_)-----oOOo----------------------

Timothy W. Christopher

E-mail : [email protected]
Voice : (520) 750-6232
Fax : (520) 750-6262
Pager: (520) 930-3197
---------------------------------------Oooo----------------------
oooO ( )
( ) ) /
\ ( (_/
\_)

It has come to my attention that some JDEList forum/mailing list members have been contacting JDEList posters via e-mail and are requesting their home addresses. I want to caution everyone that in these troubling times you should be very cautious about giving out your personal information. JDEList does not give out any personal information that we receive from you.

--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=23284
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World / XE mailing list / forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

Timothy,

Actually, you have the opportunity to add all that text to a signature - attached to your profile. Any time you reply - via forum - your signature is appended.

It boils down to - if you want specific help, you will put specific environment info in your signature. Otherwise, it could be a free-4-all.

I would guess that there are a lot of JDE folk out there that are too specific to their areas of knowledge - to know the details about their environments. Thus, it might be asking a little too much - to require them to place everything.

Keep playing hard!

Daniel Bohner
[email protected]
www.existinglight.net
JDE - XE & AS/400
JDE - B7331 & MS SQL 7x

Oh, I was one (maybe, the one) that suggested to Eric to post the suggestion that we not provide snail mail address.

Last week I recieved an email asking for assistance on a JDE issue I had posted, previously. The request for assistance was not unusual, but a request for a mailing address where the sender could send me something was.

I don't mean to offend anyone - but the anonymity of the Internet allows all of us to be, virtually, anyone. I have seven years in Law Enforcement/Public Safety IT - as a technical lead - prior to changing my career and working with JDE. During those years, it was common knowledge that you didn't give your physical address to an unsolicited requestor.

Since the Anthrax issue has come to light, it is even more concerning that we use extreme care when doing our work on the Internet. I don't believe that the JDELister meant harm when they asked for my physical address - their rebuttle was that they were on a client site, lonely and wanted to talk to someone in person (we have all been there).

I was alarmed to the situation because of the poor US English and the nationality of the poster's name (I was also watching the news at the time). I did take a moment to hold my four year old daughter close - and tell her she couldn't get the mail anymore...

All of this to say... just be careful. I do look forward to reading each and every post, every day.

Thanks for listening with your eyes.

Daniel Bohner
[email protected]
www.existinglight.net
JDE - XE & AS/400
JDE - B7331 & MS SQL 7x

Profile in Signature, Attention Eric Kempter

Wonderful idea, Tim! Unfortunately the signature is limited to 150 characters. I got mine down to 172 but if I reduce it any more it will be undecipherable. I will include it in this messageMaybe Eric will consider increasing the size so we can use your idea.

Ray Justus
Kitchell Corp
1707 E Highland Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85016
602-631-6157
OneWorldXeSP14
ES,DS,WTS: NT4SP6a
WS: NT4SP6a,W2KSP2,Citrix1.8SP3
DB: SQL7SP2HotFix851

Ray W. Justus
Kitchell Corporation
1707 East Highland Avenue, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85016-4668
(602) 631-6157

Allow me to change one of your statements Daniel:

Actually, you have the opportunity to add all that text to a signature - attached to your profile. Any time you reply - via forum OR e-mail - your signature is appended.

Re: Profile in Signature, Attention Eric Kempter

Ray,

If you already have your name and address information included in your e-mail when you send it, you can use the entire signature area for your system configuration information.

Eric,

This doesn't work if you post online. I've had problems getting posts through using e-mail (We have GroupWise.) so I always go online to post. Also, putting this information in my business signature would be inappropriate for non-list e-mails. Another fifty characters in the JDEList signature would sure be helpful. Thank you for your consideration.

Ray W. Justus
Kitchell Corporation
1707 East Highland Avenue, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85016-4668
(602) 631-6157

Generally, the "put system configuration in signature" is a sound idea but, sadly, not that practicable for consultants like me, who are continually moving from client to client where, inevitably, the set up differs.

Whenever I post, I simply have to remember to include all pertinent details but that's a relatively small price to pay.

Back