JDEdwards on Terminal Server with drives remapped, so no "C" drive available

Don Walter

JDEdwards on Terminal Server with drives remapped, so no \"C\" drive available

Hello! I'm running JDEdwards Solution Explorer on a Windows 2000 Terminal server with Citrix installed. Our standard is to remap the "C" drive to drive "E". I've found that the JDEdwards software needs to find license files on the "C" drive to execute. I've talked with PeopleSoft tech support and they confirm this, and also report that the JDEdwards developers don't plan on changing this. I was able to create a login script that uses a "net use c: \\servername\e$" command and the published application works now, but I had to make the users local administrators for it to work. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a cleaner way to remap the "C" drive without giving users the keys to the kingdom? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and have a good day. DON.

Re: JDEdwards on Terminal Server with drives remapped, so no \"C\" drive available

Don,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but the reason they have to be an administrator is because the $ shares are admin shares. Try creating a standard share of the E drive and remap the C drive that way. I'm not sure if you can make the share read only. I think some of those files are updated at login.

Re: JDEdwards on Terminal Server with drives remapped, so no \"C\" drive available

Thanks for responding, Ross! I actually did try to create a share and give rights through that, and it didn't work. The other thing I tried was using the "SUBST" command. My understanding is that when a user connects to a terminal server the login script executes using the "SYSTEM" account, so no special rights should be required. PeopleSoft tech support told me that other customers have had the same problem and have come up with a work around, but they won't put it in their knowledge base since it's a known issue and they don't plan on changing it. Thanks, again! DON.

Sorry, I just noticed that your name is Paul, and not Ross... my apologies!!!! DON.

Well I have a work around. I'm not really happy with it, but it works. Unfortunately the users have to be in the local administrator group. I tried to give rights just to the hkeylocalmachine\software\jdedwards registry hive, and file rights, create a share, etc and that didn't work. I'm sure I would be able to figure out exactly what is needed, but I just don't have the time! So... Add the user to the local admin group, and publish the script below through citrix, make sure the working directory for the app is g:\b7 (in my example). Also, be careful of GPO's. We had a domain policy in AD that was blocking the users from seeing drives C and D.

net use C: /d
subst c: /d
subst c: e:\
start G:\B7\system\Bin32\activConsole.exe
exit

Good luck!
DON.

Back