JDE Oneworld XE Performance Problem

tkafadar

We are having a terrible performance issue. After doing so many research over Internet, Oracle Knowledge Garden, JDE List forums, I came to a conclusion that the problem we are facing is about Entering JDB_BeginTransaction. Sometimes it takes only a few seconds, but sometimes it takes more than 10-15 seconds (I could not find a routine for such a behaviour). During that time, JDE gets stucks / blocked and then goes on working without any problem, i.e. from the point it stopped. This problem occurs lots of times a day and it became much more disturbing in the last 2-3 weeks.

To find the reason, I made related technical people check terminal server clients performance (we are using those 2 servers as terminal servers. Users are connected to terminal servers via Citrix Xenapp5. We have about 50 concurrent users whose load are balanced between terminal servers), enterprise server performance SQL server performance, network connections, network line use etc. However nothing is found.

To understand the root cause of the problem and to eliminate the effect of Citrix, I directly connected to a terminal server. Enabled debugging for my user and observerd what is written to the debuglog during the problem I mentioned about. Whenever this problem occurs Entering JDB_BeginTransaction process takes at least 6-7 seconds, and as I said before user’s JDE screen is totally blocked.

Has anyone come across such a problem? If I do not find the solution, I think I will get mad at last.
smile.gif

Below are specs of our servers

Terminal Servers Configuration
Intel Xeon CPU 5150 @2.66 GHz
4 GB RAM
Enough Disk Space
Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP2

Enterprise Servers Connection
Intel Xeon CPU 5150 @2.66 GHz
16 GB RAM
Enough Disk Space
Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2
SQL Server 2000 SP4
AWE switch is enabled

Related DEBUG log lines are as follows.

Nov 11 13:49:49 ** 12972/13024 Entering JDB_BeginTransaction
Nov 11 13:50:08 ** 12972/13024 Entering JDB_FreeUser

Enclosed is the full debug log file.

Attachments

• 152820-jdedebug.zip
    88.2 KB · Views: 91
Hi

Did you take a look at your kernels activity?
Maybe you don't have enough kernels defined on your
JDE.INI so all these BSFNs are waiting for some
kernel to be released (most of the time it's due to
insufficient Call Objects kernels or Security Server
kernels).

Tahir

I would focus my attention on the database. I've seen delays like that, or much longer. Often it can be traced back to a lock or block on the database.

Places to look when this is happening:

TempDB
Lock or Block caused by a user (open ended query, not using data selection)
A developer running a query against the database
Other non-transactional access - if you run access, cognos or some other reporting tool against your database, see if one of those apps are causing your blocks.

Another area to look at is the network layer - is there something going on in the network that is causing the latency? I've seen that too, especially if you have remote users connecting over a WAN.

- Gregg

Hi Sebastian,

I attached JDE.ini file on enterprise server. Are there any parameters about Kernels?

Attachments

• 152826-JDEini.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 93
When I check enterprise server logs, I see the errors below. I also see Zombie processes in SAW. Any comment?

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]ConnectionWrite (WrapperWrite()). - SQLSTATE: 01000
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Communication link failure - SQLSTATE: 08S01
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]General network error. Check your network documentation. - SQLSTATE: 08001

Hi,

Those messages confirm Greg advice : check your network.
You shouldn't have network disconnections!
Once your network is checked and fixed, we can discuss
about JDE.INI, SQL, Windows, etc

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Hosting of our JDE servers are outsourced to a well known company in my country. I opened lots of tickets, talked to technical personnel to make them check network thoroughly, but the result is a big big zero. Can this be related to security definitions (F00950) I saw lots of row security definitions to prevent users from seeing some menus? By the way, I redefined all ODBC connection settings (just TCP/IP connection, port : 1433). Is there anything else that can cause the problem I am facing? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
confused.gif

Back