JDE Object Browser 2.0

Don't want to hijack this thread but...

Out of curiosity do you track non text source JDE Objects in Git as well (APPLs, UBEs, etc.)? I tracked C BSFNs for about two years on Git/Bitbucket for a project when I needed the branching capabilities of Git and wondered if there was some way to track all changes in Git, not just objects with standard text source files. We use Git/Github for all of our non-JDE source and it would be nice to have all our source in one place.
PM'd you

Hi Craig - as always thank you for this incredible tool. I have found a minor bug, I hope this is the right place to report it. I've discovered that if any of the tabs open in OB 2.5.0.5 (and probably all previous versions) include an ER Search, the "save workspace" action from the file menu will crash OB and the windows "ObjectBrowser has stopped working" error pops up.
To reproduce: Open E1, open OB, open an ER search tab (no need to enter anything or start the search). Go to File -> save workspace, then save it and immediately OB crashes.
I'm a heavy workspace user so I'm glad at least I know why my saves crash now.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. Should be fixed in 2.5.0.6.

thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,
One more feature request into your backlog if I may please.

I am using Data Export feature all the time but unfortunately I couldn't find a way to use it in a batch mode.

Here is an idea.
Run batch data export with a query to retrieve recently modified objects, save it a file and feed it to the existing batch spec export feature.
Basically replicating what is already done in manual mode (see below).

1622675877753.png

Regards,
Serge.

Hi Craig,
One more feature request into your backlog if I may please.

I am using Data Export feature all the time but unfortunately I couldn't find a way to use it in a batch mode.

Here is an idea.
Run batch data export with a query to retrieve recently modified objects, save it a file and feed it to the existing batch spec export feature.
Basically replicating what is already done in manual mode (see below).

View attachment 19150

Regards,
Serge.
Hi Serge,

Did you try the -w parameter? It should use the OMW updated date with prefix e, l, g (equal, less than , greater)

objecterbrowser.exe -we6/2/21
should export every object modified on 6/2/21

objecterbrowser.exe -wg6/1/21
should export every object modified after 6/1/21

objecterbrowser.exe -wl6/2/21
should export every object modified before 6/2/21

Pardon me if I misunderstood your request.

thanks
Craig

Hi Serge,

Did you try the -w parameter? It should use the OMW updated date with prefix e, l, g (equal, less than , greater)

objecterbrowser.exe -we6/2/21
should export every object modified on 6/2/21

objecterbrowser.exe -wg6/1/21
should export every object modified after 6/1/21

objecterbrowser.exe -wl6/2/21
should export every object modified before 6/2/21

Pardon me if I misunderstood your request.

thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,
Thanks for the prompt reply!

That's exactly what i need (y)
I have completely overlooked -w parameter

Having batch data export feature still would be great.

Regards,
Serge.

Hi Craig,

I have an enhancement suggestion : I regularly the search in the ER to find out where in an application or batch a bsfn is called or a table I/O is done. To do that, I have to first right click on the object and select "Show all", and then search for text (for example GetUDC or F43121.Insert), and then I have to scroll up to find out in which event/ which control/ which form the BSFN is called or the table I/O done, and then i have to continue the search as the BSFN call may be at multiple places.
I was wondering if it would be possible to do a "search on object" similar to the search in Notepad++ or Visual Studio where it will display in a separate frame in the bottom all the places where the text searched is found (indicating the form, control and event, or section and event for the batch. And then by double clicking on the line in the separate frame, display the event rule line in context.

Thanks again for the tool.

Olivier

Hi Craig,

I have an enhancement suggestion : I regularly the search in the ER to find out where in an application or batch a bsfn is called or a table I/O is done. To do that, I have to first right click on the object and select "Show all", and then search for text (for example GetUDC or F43121.Insert), and then I have to scroll up to find out in which event/ which control/ which form the BSFN is called or the table I/O done, and then i have to continue the search as the BSFN call may be at multiple places.
I was wondering if it would be possible to do a "search on object" similar to the search in Notepad++ or Visual Studio where it will display in a separate frame in the bottom all the places where the text searched is found (indicating the form, control and event, or section and event for the batch. And then by double clicking on the line in the separate frame, display the event rule line in context.

Thanks again for the tool.

Olivier
Hi Olivier,

The ER browser is essentially an HTML viewer and the search functionality is built in like you would see in IE. You can hover the mouse over the line # and it will display the section/form/event that the line is in. Otherwise, perhaps use the ER search tool. You can enter search criteria (GetUDC or F43121.Insert) and the object name. It will return a line for each hit within the event rules. You can drill into the object from there.

thanks for the feedback,
Craig

Craig - I have a small enhancement suggestion. On ER Search, the advanced button brings up a dialog to uncheck the ER operations we want to exclude from the search, which is a great performance boost and noise reducer when finding a needle in a haystack. My suggestion is to have an "uncheck all" button there somewhere since I find myself unchecking all but one in most of my searches, and unchecking 9 checkboxes in a row is a test of eye-hand coordination I don't always pass the first time!

Oh I didn't know about the hover feature, it's nice !
I had forgotten about the ER search, it's very nice indeed and would be useful for my researchs. Maybe I would rather have it as a frame around the ER window (the HTML viewer), and have a double click bring me to the line in context, rather than opening a new window for each search result.
Thanks,

Olivier

Hi Craig,
Happy new year!

Not sure if this has been already reported/discussed.
We are having some issues with JDE 9.2.5.5 (32 bit) where JDE Object Browser in Batch Export mode is unable to pull C-BSFN code from Central Objects (apparently stored in database). With the error message below

Code:
Could not open file.\\SERVER\E920\DV920\include\b55001.hCould not open file.\\SERVER\E920\DV920\source\b55001.c

Files indeed do not exist. I would assume source code would be pulled from the database.

At the same time JDE Object Browser in interactive mode is able to pull C-BSFN source code.

Can it be fixed with JDE Object Browser or JDE environment/application setup ?

Regards,
Serge.

Hi Craig,

As you know I'm a big fan of this tool, but is there a way to extract all the PO listings of all a UBEs versions without having to extract the ER of each version?

So a quick print, this is my UBE, please give me just a XML file of their POs please. If I untick print ER it still prints each file

Hi Craig,

As you know I'm a big fan of this tool, but is there a way to extract all the PO listings of all a UBEs versions without having to extract the ER of each version?

So a quick print, this is my UBE, please give me just a XML file of their POs please. If I untick print ER it still prints each file
Right click the top report node in the UBE section tree. Select Export Processing Options and choose which versions you want to export and the format.

thanks
Craig

Right click the top report node in the UBE section tree. Select Export Processing Options and choose which versions you want to export and the format.

thanks
Craig
You're just the best :)
I've been using Batch Export for years and then deleting them lol

Craig - how does the "Support for OMW file repository" work in OB 2.5.0.10?

Craig - how does the "Support for OMW file repository" work in OB 2.5.0.10?
Hi Chris, that should probably read "support for Central Objects file repository". It means when viewing BSFN specs from central objects, OB will look for a file repo first and, if the object exists, extract, unzip and display that. Otherwise, it pulls from the deployment server path code.

hi Craig,

in the Tool for Testing BSFN , I am wondering what the "temporary user handle" is for ?
For my purposes I had to untick it, but I noticed it is checked by default, and I am wondering, in what cases is it useful to tick/untick that box ?

hi Craig,

in the Tool for Testing BSFN , I am wondering what the "temporary user handle" is for ?
For my purposes I had to untick it, but I noticed it is checked by default, and I am wondering, in what cases is it useful to tick/untick that box ?
It's used to isolate the BSFN call within a user handle. If you are using a cache in multiple calls you would want to uncheck it, or choose the same user handle in the subsequent calls

Hi Craig

As you know, I'm a huuuuge fan of your ObjectBrowser and would be lost without it. I've just noticed something and not sure if it's bug or not

Get an object in a window tab, right click Explore - it opens up it's sub components, Business Functions, Tables, Business View etc
You can then right click a BSFN and also Explore, and Explore and Explore deeper and deeper

However, if you start with a BSFN you can't Explore. It doesn't do anything. But if you find an APPL with said BSFN, you can drill down.

I am trying this with XT4114Z1 and then finding the same BSFN in P4112

Thanks

John

Hi Craig,

For some reason my Object Browser (2.5.0.2 32bit) has started the strange behaviour of dropping out of the GUI and into a cmd box in batch export mode, exporting *everything*. I have to kill the window and restart it.

Any idea why that might be? Seems to be on calling a BSFN...

Hi Craig,

For some reason my Object Browser (2.5.0.2 32bit) has started the strange behaviour of dropping out of the GUI and into a cmd box in batch export mode, exporting *everything*. I have to kill the window and restart it.

Any idea why that might be? Seems to be on calling a BSFN...
Sounds like the BSFN is crashing objectbrowser.exe. When that happens, the app is restarted automatically and goes into the batch mode because of cmd line parameters. That auto restart "feature" has been disabled in later versions of the tool. It started happening when we rebuilt the app with the newer MFC framework. It was enabled by default. Try the latest from our download page.

thanks,
Craig