JDE Job Cost budgets & other modules: general questions

jfwiii

I have some general questions about JDE Job Cost budgets and other JDE modules. I am responsible for tracking fixed assets and capital projects at my company, and we implemented JDE Fixed Assets and Job Cost for these purposes (right now we are on 9.0).

Our intent when implementing was that we would use Job Cost as a "hard stop" against making commitments, vouchers, etc. on capital projects for amounts that exceeded the budgets we put in Job Cost. I am familiar with how this works through the Procurement module—orders over budget go on budget hold until they are released—but I am not seeing any way to stop transactions from other modules from hitting jobs (hitting the G/L) in a similar fashion.

What I am facing now is several projects that have gone over budget in spite of the procurement holds. These have resulted mainly from G/L journal entries to jobs, but they could also result from A/P vouchers. These are real transactions that should be charged to these jobs, but ideally I would like to stop them from being posted until I have the chance to approve them.

So my questions are:

1. Is there anything I can do in Job Cost to prevent transactions over budget being posted from ALL modules rather than just Procurement? So far I have not found anything to indicate I can do this.

2. Assuming #1 is not possible, have any Job Cost users tried to work around this and implement other internal processes to prevent jobs from going over budget? I could make it an internal policy for A/P and G/L users not to enter transactions to job accounts unless they come through me first, but I was hoping for something a little more elegant than that (not to mention more foolproof, since they could theoretically ignore me or just mess up and let transactions through).

I would appreciate any ideas you all may have. Let me know if you need other information about my setup or have questions about my explanation above. Thanks for your help.

If the costs from the GL journals and AP vouchers are valid and 'real' then you've already incurred the costs and you are over budget in a very real way, thus JDE doesn't stop these via budgetary controls. You could get journals blocked by setting up the Job Cost accounts as machine posting only, which would bring up an error on the journal and make them think twice about whether they're posting to the correct place - but again if it's correct as you've said you're only delaying the inevitable and I'm sure the areas where the costs are being moved from don't want to wear the expense either.

So sorry, no good news here to provide an elegant solution - user education and preventing the spend outside of a purchase order scenario is your key. Don't let the staff buy anything to do with a project without a PO.

Thanks for your response. I was afraid that might be the case, but it is good to confirm.

Back