JDE API List (ALL)

Nishant Sharma

Many times when I came across any API and want to search it in available API lists. Most of the time I dont find the API in the lists. Even searching on online forums won't help.
Can anyone have any idea - How do we know about the API which is not listed in documents?

Hope this would help everyone.................

Finding JDE API calls is kind of like being an Archaeologist. The majority are not documented anywhere so you have to start looking for clues and then go digging. When you find something then you have to start experimenting and reverse engineering.

Has anyone ever asked for the Gold Standard 'list' of API's (or at least those that are available to 'us'?

I'd be willing to maintain a list on the JDEResearch site, if anyone is interested...

(db)

Hmmmmm. Very interesting idea. Develop our own documentation as its discovered. Maybe some sort of wiki.

... or can be a visual studio custom add-in updateble by web service call to remote server hosting the latest API list ... just right click in your c code, select an api and have you call template into the code.

...or both. You can't type in the api call if you don't know what it is. Some sort of searchable site (like a wiki) that categorizes calls along with key words, etc. would help someone find the calls.

I would be impressed if, we as a community, could simply build the repository... hooking up VC++ to make a web service call to display documentation would feel like putting a man on mars.

also for Generic Text/Media Objects attached file

Attachments

• 171610-Media_Object_8.9_APIs.zip
    539.9 KB · Views: 720
[ QUOTE ]
I have the attached file I downloaded from JDEList if I remember well.

EDIT : file seems to be above the size limit, but Mr. Patwell is the best : http://www.patwel.com/APIs/

[/ QUOTE ]

Good resource, I use it quite frequently. Covers about 2% of the calls. Maybe the 70% that get used regularly, but there are a TON of calls not listed including ones in the same family of APIs. I have seen misc. docs here and there that may mention other calls, but there is not one comprehensive list with documentation of all the calls available.

Brian,

I totally agree. That API list is the basic and in some cases unused reference for utilizing the system capabilities. The rest lies in the "archeology" that some of us have spent time researching. There are some real nuggets living in the exposed DLL functions, and some that need to get looked at by Oracle (see jdeExportData. I may be letting a cat out of the bag here, but really?).

Anyway, I'm all for creating a VS extension to help streamline JDE development. I did a quick look at snipets for C++ but that seemed to have been removed. Perhaps we can do something to generate JDB_OpenTable and JDB_Select* APIs based on an a UI.

Interest?

Craig

[ QUOTE ]
Brian,
Anyway, I'm all for creating a VS extension to help streamline JDE development. I did a quick look at snipets for C++ but that seemed to have been removed. Perhaps we can do something to generate JDB_OpenTable and JDB_Select* APIs based on an a UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about some sort of code generator pluggin? That might be useful, but a lot of work too. I have a text document that I keep open in UltraEdit at all times called CommonCode.txt. It has examples of the stuff I most frequently use so it is just a matter of copy/paste/edit to quickly write code for table I/O, jdeCache, etc. I also enable IntelliSense in VC++ which REALLy helps when writing code (see attached small example of what this can do for you). Gives code completeion, browse info, etc. BTW, I wrote an article for jdeTips that details how to quickly enable IntelliSense when doing JDE Development.

I also have a text file that contains undocumented API calls that I stumble across that I find useful. Having a formalized online version of this that the whole development community could contribute too (like a wiki) might be the most bang for the buck. For example, the call you listed... never heard of it, may be very useful.

Attachments

• 171627-intellisense1.jpg
    171627-intellisense1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 332
[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about some sort of code generator pluggin? That might be useful, but a lot of work too

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's the grand idea. Similar to the wizards you use when working with a C++ app for generating classes etc.

We use IntelliSense all the time and it would be tough to live without.

And yes, a central online repository would be simplest to achieve. I've just been interested in extending VS.

Craig

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US

I had a bit of time to play with extending Visual Studio with some sort of JDE code assist tool. I've had some early and easy success and wanted to share to see if anyone else is interested.

I'm attaching a spreadsheet with some screen shots on each tab, but here is the rundown ....
<ul type="square">
[*]An option called JDECodeAssist appears under the Tools menu.
[*]When a document is opened, running the tool brings up a list of JDE APIs in a tree control (grouped by API type).
[*]Selecting an API builds a grid of parameters where you can assign values.
[*]As you make changes the C code in the tool changes dynamically.
[*]Pressing the Insert Code button places code into the document you had open where the cursor was.
[/list]
The cool part is the API list is an XML document. Just add more to that doc and the functions appear in the tool.

This is very basic but I think there is some use here.

let me know what you think
Craig

Attachments

• 180651-codeassist.zip
    423.7 KB · Views: 323
Hi Craig,

Any update on the JDE CodeAssist Tool for VS 2008. Really waiting...

hi Boster can you guide me on creating a makefile project in Visual studio 2008 for jde and using the business functions in JDE.

Lol! I benched this since I didn't get any feeback. Maybe I'll look at it again.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US

I had a bit of time to play with extending Visual Studio with some sort of JDE code assist tool. I've had some early and easy success and wanted to share to see if anyone else is interested.

I'm attaching a spreadsheet with some screen shots on each tab, but here is the rundown ....
<ul type="square">
[*]An option called JDECodeAssist appears under the Tools menu.
[*]When a document is opened, running the tool brings up a list of JDE APIs in a tree control (grouped by API type).
[*]Selecting an API builds a grid of parameters where you can assign values.
[*]As you make changes the C code in the tool changes dynamically.
[*]Pressing the Insert Code button places code into the document you had open where the cursor was.
[/list]
The cool part is the API list is an XML document. Just add more to that doc and the functions appear in the tool.

This is very basic but I think there is some use here.

let me know what you think
Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Craig!

First off, thanks a lot for your tools! Consider me interested in this one
wink.gif

Ranny

Hi folks,

I'm hoping some folks can help test this JDECodeAssist add-in for Visual Studio 2008. After installing, it will appear under the Tools menu.

Open a BSFN in OMW and select Edit from the Form menu of Business Function Design. This will open Visual Studio with the source and header file.

Select JDECodeAssist from the Tools menu. You should be prompted to create a new project for the function. Selecting yes will create a Visual Studio project with the source and header included. It will also set the include directories of the project so that intellisense will work.

The JDECodeAssist form then appears. You can select an API from the tree in the upper left, fill in the parms on the grid on the right and see the code in the text box below. Pressing insert code will paste the code into the source document wherever the cursor was located.

I only have a couple of APIs setup so far, but I'll add to that shortly. It's all in a simple XML file.

Let me know how or if it works for you. It's my first try at an add-in so I'm sure there are lots of opportunities.

thanks
Craig

Attachments

• 186151-JDECodeAssistSetup.zip
    210.6 KB · Views: 190
Back