E9.0 JDE - add new server (DR)

Tom-Tom

Hello All,

I have a question about adding new server to the existing JDE installation.

We would like to add new server (which will be application/batch server as a one) and use this as a DR solution (current servers are in location X, new will be in Y, DB will be replicated)

Do you have good practices to do this? I'm wondering if we can avoid clean installation for JDE and TR and can make a copy of existing server (files copy, currently we are not able to replicate machines on LPARs level).

JDE 9.0, TR 9.1.5.3, AIX 7.1

My AIX is pretty rusty but you don't seem to be getting any help with this. On windows you would only do the base install so that you could get all of the registry entrees correct then restore everything over the top. On the iSeries I would again do a base install as it sets some permissions and does some setup. My approach on AIX would be the same to do the base installation then restore everything else over the top of the new install again to get all of the background stuff setup. The TR would be updated by the file restore so there would be no need to do that.

Hope that helps.

It's always cleaner (and more importantly: supported!) to do a regular install of the enterprise server, but for test and demo environments i've also done it before to simply copy the folder to a different server, edit the ini and run the processes from there - since it's just a bunch of executables in one folder anyway.

If you say "avoid clean installation" it sounds like a bad thing, but the enterprise server installation is really not a big deal at all...

My approach on AIX would be the same to do the base installation then restore everything else over the top of the new install again to get all of the background stuff setup. The

What do you mean by restoring everything? In my approach I have to add new server to the current infrastructure (add new server to JDE structure - OCMs etc) and in case of DR I'll switch off old servers and new will take all functions.

I restored(OS image restore) my JDE entire infrastructure at least a couple of times(Just for fun and DR reasons). Currently, I have 2 copies of the system running concurrently. One of them is placed in a remote location for DR purposes. I used the other copy to run various experiments. Our production is on premises and runs 100% on physical hardware. I used Ultrabac to restore the physical JDE servers from physical to a fully virtualized environment . I am running Microsoft Hyper-V. The restore part is relatively easy if you are familiar with the basics of virtualization and Hyper-V. However, after you restore the JDE servers, in order for JDE to be up and running with minimal headaches, you need to keep the same computer names. The first time, I did the restore I had some issues with my disk partitions, we are running SQL server and because of these partition issues, the database did not come up. Yes, whenever someone wants to implement a DR solution for JDE, I always recommend to consider one of these backup and restore solutions that are out there to easily restore these servers and take it from there instead of installing the systems from scratch.
I hope this helps.
Abner

Back