E9.2 JD Edwards Training

illinoisguy74

I am brand new to the forum and am not sure where to post this question. Anyway, I am an accountant that uses JD Edwards EnterpriseOne daily. However, I would like to get more into the technical/IT side of it and have a few questions:

1. What kind of training should I pursue if I want to get into the technical/IT side?
2. What kind of career potential do I have if I specialize in JD Edwards? What does a typical salary look like and what is the outlook for the future (10 years, 20 years).

Thanks!

Maybe someone else will give you a better answer but I think your question is a bit too general.

First I'm hard core Technical/IT but I don't develop. I just don't find it interesting. I'm what in JDE vernacular is a CNC. Here is where you can read about the CNC role: https://nimishprabhu.com/jd-edwards-cnc-roles-and-responsibilities.html I've been doing this for a little over 20 years and its constantly chainging. What I was doing 20 years ago barely resembles the job today. I digress. On average when a company has a guy doing the CNC role with good basic IT skills it usually takes me a year of training and mentoring to get them where they can handle all of the day to day stuff competently without struggling. The thing to keep in mind is that they are doing this job day in and day out not just learning it on the side. So they have systems to work on and issues to deal with. Without those things its more difficult to really commit everything you need to know.

For Developers they used to have so boot camps that were like a month long but you really needed to have some development background to build on. Not my thing.

So while I always think people should do what they want to unless you have a lot of IT background to build on you are charting a difficult road to get a job that pays $80-150K.

As for the outlook it's as gloomy as ever. 15 years ago I was just doing my thing and figuring it would do it as long as i could then find something else. It isn't much different now. Oracle is trying to push everyone to the cloud where they run your systems for you. The latest citizen developer changes also make the outlook for developers less rosy.

Since I know almost nothing about you it's hard to say but if I was in your shoes and an accountant with some JDE skills I would be looking to build on those skills. I would be looking at 3rd party bolt ons that are successful to get experience with them. One are of IT where your skills can overlap is security. I've done a lot of security work but a deeper business background would be helpful. Consider learning manufacturing accounting. Consider becoming a trainer.

At the end of the day if you want to be an IT guy and work long hours nights and weekends by all means it can be done but it isn't going to be easy. The first thing you need to do is to decide what kind of technical/IT stuff your interested in so that when you ask questions you will get better answers.

Best of luck.

Shane

I am brand new to the forum and am not sure where to post this question. Anyway, I am an accountant that uses JD Edwards EnterpriseOne daily. However, I would like to get more into the technical/IT side of it and have a few questions:

1. What kind of training should I pursue if I want to get into the technical/IT side?
2. What kind of career potential do I have if I specialize in JD Edwards? What does a typical salary look like and what is the outlook for the future (10 years, 20 years).

Thanks!

I would suggest you head on over to Oracle's excellent resource called learnjde.com and snoop into different topics. If all the CNC (the EnterpriseOne admins) topics don't scare you away you can follow some paths there and learn. Build your own infrastructure, set up a demo environment - it's all right there. docs.oracle.com will guide you :)

Thanks!

You haven't shared what your background is?. If you already did some IT course and some coding during your education then you can simply join some training and start some hands on. If you don't have any IT background then better option i think would be as Financial Functional expert. i know there is also good pay and demand of good Functional Financial expert in JDE. Be part of couple of implementation projects and you will know the fun.

All the best.

Thanks!
So as some others have mentioned your best path into the JDE Consulting space may be to move into the Application / Functional Consulting side of JDE (This section of this forum - https://www.jdelist.com/community/forums/jd-edwards®-enterpriseone-applications.7/). This is a very normal transition and I have seen so many end users/power users of JDE become Business Analysts and move into an IT role and then eventually into a consulting role working for consulting firms. Not knowing how long you have been working with JD Edwards and how long you have been in the workforce generally I couldn't tell you exact things about salary and outlook. The good thing about being in a functional domain is that with some training your skillset once gained is actually far more transferable into another ERP (Oracle Financials Cloud etc) than it would be for say a JDE CNC or a JDE Developer. So, in short, my two cents is that since you have an accounting background and good technical aptitude (I'm making that inference by your general interest in the area and this post) invest in some JDE Functional Training (Look at JDETips, iLearnERP, etc). If you can get your employer to do it even better. Training will go to waste if you aren't able to apply what you learn. See if you have the option to transition to an IT Business Analyst role internally within the organization. Set up a three to five-year plan for your self and then see if staying in the JDE space is right or another ERP makes sense. I think trying to plan for the next 10 and 20 years is near impossible today.

Good Luck !!

I would echo what Shane said. Look for areas where you have existing skills that will overlap into a technical area and then use that to build deeper technical skills. As stated security is a great area to do this in. I would say focus on compliance within your organization. Get a good understanding of what it means, and how to achieve and measure it. Without a 3rd party security tool, you will have to dig into the logs to see where security errors are coming from, and that is a great way to start getting techy. I do think it can be difficult doing it solo, but thankfully folks on JDEList are pretty helpful.

Back