Java Interoperability without JAS?

chrishop

As JDE are discouraging using C APIs for interoperability I am looking at using Java instead - I have a number of applications that require a user-interface rather more sophisticated than the Forms toolkit was designed for. The client (B73.3.2 SP 11.0) doesn't have a JAS and probably won't want to install one.

Can I develop in Java without a JAS? The interoperability guide suggests so - no method of JAS, saying that ThinNet is used (do the classes use ThinNet APIs or is this a process running in a separate process on the client?).

Also the jdeinterop.ini file requires the host and port for the Enterprise server, not a JAS.

Has any one written any Java applications that use the classes in Kernel.jar and Connector.jar? The simple javaLogOn sample application does look for a JAS.INI but tries to connect to a server.

Any one had any hands-on experience with this?

Thanks,
Chris

QUOTE: "As JDE are discouraging using C APIs for interoperability . . "

They are?! Can you refer us to where they state this? I find this very hard to believe, particularly since their whole product is built on the C API (and my career).

Darren Ricciardi - OneWorld Whipping Boy

Looking for work in OR NEAR Amsterdam THE NETHERLANDS

Darren,

here's a document from 7th September 2001:

Document: CIP-01-0010
Title: Using C APIs with OneWorld®

Abstract: This document discusses two of the main reasons that J.D. Edwards
does not recommend using C APIs to interoperate with OneWorld®. Also
contains a partial list of recommended alternatives

Link:
https://knowledge.jdedwards.com/sea...esult.asp&SPageName=SimpleSearch&Num=0&Max=32

I do not believe that they mean that writing business functions in C is
discouraged (although it *does* say "J.D. Edwards has no plans to enhance
the set of C APIs that OneWorld® contains. While there is no published date
for the termination of support for C APIs, no new APIs or enhancements are
being considered. General requests or Software Action Requests (SARs) for
additional functionality will not be reviewed") but *interoperating* with
OneWorld via C is discouraged as they want us to use the new multi-threaded
middleware.

All this would not be so bad if they actually had some clear, detailed
documentation that is easy to find!

Chris

Hi Chris,

the document you refered to is talking purely about the Interoperability API's written in C. They are recommending not to use them as they are discontinuing support for them in favour of other models. There is nothing to stop you writing business functions or your own API's in C.

Regards,
David

Back