Item Master - F4101

Mike Mackinnon

Mike Mackinnon

Well Known Member
Is there any limitation on the number of records in the Item Master or branch plant table? I realize it will mostly depend upon the hardware you have installed and indices you are using but I just wanted to know if there was a point where the number of records becomes too much and system performance begins to decline.

We are looking at adding a substantial number of records (over a million records in F4102) to both these tables and want to know if anybody had any problems with the system performance. Thanks.

We are well up into the 3 million records in the F4102 file and there are no problems. I have heard some peoples F0911 records go into the 100 million records.

Of course, it all depends on how much horsepower your machine has. Not knowing the specifics, it would be hard to say, but I have not ran into a company that has put too many records in their F4102.

Jimmy Berry
AS/400
E1 ERP8.0 SP23

Mike,

I don't really know what your current situation with the system performance is like, but because I am constantly studying the performance aspects of OW and developing software solutions to improve it, here's one idea you may be interested to hear about:

I have come across a few systems, which experience hard-to-explain performance issues. The symptoms include slowdowns on the logic servers (whether combined with SQL/Oracle or separate), where you can see multiple UBE's running in parallel, not using too much CPU (around 40-80%), not hitting the DB too much either - possibly high usage, but well under 100% of both disk and CPU utilisation and yet, apparently not performing satisfactorily at all. E.g.: if a single UBE on a calm system would complete in an hour, running as described above, it may take 5 hours or more.

To address this kind of issues, we have just released a new Software Solution, which essentially takes the role of process manager on the Server(s) in question. In our tests, the performance gains were in the order of 20-40%. This may vary with the target system utilisation and may not be of any benefit on some systems, while could potentially double the overall performance in some specific scenarios.

If you are interested to test, if this Solution would be of benefit to your specific system, please, ask us for a Trial Version and see this for yourself.

Regards,
Alexander Pastuhov
Everest Software International Pty. Ltd.
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone: +(61-3) 9893 4244
WWW: http://www.everestsoftint.com
Software Solutions for JDEdwards=AE EnterpriseOne=AE
ORACLE Worldwide Partner

RESTRICTIONS ON USE REPRODUCTION OR DISCLOSURE
The information contained in this email and attachments (if any) is intended
to be communicated only to the person or persons named as addressees.
Copyright subsists in this email. If you are not named as an addressee you
are prohibited from using, reproducing, or disclosing the information in
this email and the existence of this email itself. The information in this
email may also be confidential and subject to professional privilege.
If so, all rights are reserved by the owner of those rights. If you are not
a named addressee please advise us immediately and destroy all copies of
this email in your possession or control. Everest Software International Pty. Ltd.

Mike,

On the iSeries - the file will be limited to 2 factors. File size and/or number of rows (records). Which ever one reaches the limitation first, wins. OW will read over the top of of this table - it will just take a lot longer (depending upon the number of records). This is where efficient indexes come in handy.

As an FYI - here are the limits on a table for v5r2:

Max # of rows in a table = 4,294,967,288
Max size of a table = 1 Tb

Haven't heard of anyone getting close to that yet.

I will attach the iSeries v5r2 max capabilities PDF to this. Haven't grabbed the v5r3 yet - but they normally increase them with each release - not decrease.

As for performance - create efficent indexes and try to return a page-at-a-time when possible.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

Attachments

• 93912-v5r2 Maximum Capacities.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 217
Back