iSeries Performance Setup for New Installation

DKB

Hi,
We are a brand new EnterpriseOne site running version 8.10 on a 5-way 870 with 16GB memory and 22 disk arms. The WebSphere environment is running on Intel.

We have recently run some stress tests (before we go live) which has shown the memory and disk setup on the iSeries to be way short of what's required. I am addressing this memory and disk shortage. We will ultimately be running several hundred HTML users and I would like to get people's thoughts/guidance on the jde.ini settings and other assumptions we've made (after reading the relevant IBM redbook)...

- 1 call object kernel for every 7.5 users
- 1 security kernel for every 100 users
- 1 network kernel for every 20 call object kernels
- checkKernelHealth set to 5000
- useAS400Security set to FALSE
- Each HTML will generate upto 5 JDBC server jobs (QZDASOINIT)
- Each ODBC job will need 15MB memory
- Each UBE will require upto 400MB memory

For information, the stress tests we ran showed that we were getting millions of 'Teraspace EOA exceptions' in every performance interval (over 7.5million in a 1 minute sample!) which was consuming huge amounts of CPU. These can be seen by viewing the Component Report within Performance Tools. Applying PTF 5722SS1/SI17614 solved this problem and reduced the exceptions down to 9,000...CPU consumed reduced by approx. 50%! We also found that separating the QZDASOINIT jobs out of *BASE memory pool greatly improved things, although we are still significantly short of memory and disk.

Any guidance/thoughts on our assumptions would be greatly appreciated, particularly with regards to exactly how many kernels we should be running and recommendations for the numbers of kernels/jobs per available CPU.

Thanks,
Dean.

With the JDE.INI on the Enterprise Server set the numbe rof autostart processes for each Kernal to atleast 1/3 of the maximum number of processes. ie if you're starting 5 security kernals autostart 2 of them at a minimum.

Have you applied Update 1 for 810? IF not you'll need about 400 performance ESU's. With out them web will be 'some what buggy'. With them performance is fine. (I've got 2 live 810 clients running 100% web).

I'd also put the E811 subsystem in it's own shared pool or put it in the same pool as the ODBC jobs.

22 Disk arms on a 5 way 570 is kinda small (must be 73 GB disks)?

Have you tuned WAS on Intel as of yet? There are also a few items in the JAS.INI and JDBJ.INI that also need some attention (I'll try and find my previous posts).

SInce you're a NEW install you're 100 Unicode already so you don't have to worry.

Are you using HTTP 2.0 or the base 1.3.26? Upgrading takes about 2 hours (incl downloads so it's worth the time investemet).

The major thing is again the ESU's or Update 1. Take your choice either way it works without either.......well you get the picture.

Are you two tier or three tier? Is your AS/400 for database only? Or do you use it as an EnterpriseOne application server too? From your mentionning of kernels and JDBC I was about to assume you're only using it as a DB, but assuming
blush.gif
can get you into trouble.

Hi Dean,

What tool did you use to create the load ?
How many concurrent users were you able to support with reasonable response time ?

Thanks.

PS: I use 4 to 5 users per Call Object kernel.
useAS400Security set to FALSE causes problems with Vertex if you use Vertex.

What size drives do you have on that? Anyway, My 2 cents include:
Make sure your SMP (symteric Multi Processing) is turned on correctly on the 400.
MAke sure you have enough pre-start QDAZO's
Upgrade the HTML server to 2.0 and turn on comression.
Upgrade the Intel WAS 5.02(?) with the latest WAS fixpack to SR5 or is it 7? There are many posts here on tuning the Intel WAS Server.
Check the jobq's and subsystems for max active limits.
Any new subsystems, watch the class for the Prioity levels of your work.
For awhile you can set the 400 (QAQQINI?) To log index suggestions so that you get the index's on the money. We gained much of our tuning on this front. DB/2 is good, but the right index will make some UBE's fly.
Good luck
Jeff

Back