Inventory Transfer to location off site - need "shipping documents"

cshall

I have reviewed the Oracle documentation and searched threads here first and I don't see anything specific to this issue.

We are on JDE 9.2, Tools release 9.2.3.5.

Issue: Management want to issue "shipping" paperwork to go with trucks moving inventory to a location in the same branch plant that is 5 miles down the road. It is unacceptable to ship productuct that far without shipping documents. Further, they do not want to have to set up another Branch/Plant and have separate item numbers, separate location(s), separate AAIs/DMAAIs, Flex Acctg., etc. We have tried to do an ST/OT shipping and receiving from the same branch/plant but it doesn't seem to work. It bombs out when trying to receive into the same branch/plant.

We have two warehouses off site for this branch/plant that currently have inventory. Currently we us IT's to transfer there. One of these warehouses, as noted above, is about 5 miles from the main branch/plant; having no shipping paperwork is unacceptable. Management would like to use something LIKE the ST/OT process within the same branch/plant to be able to print delivery documents, ship confirm and have the receiving warehouse check the items and receive into JDE.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you,
Cathi

Catherine S. Hall, CPA, CGMA
Mgr., Business Controls and Process Improvement
HSM
235 2nd Avenue, NW, Hickory, NC 28601
Phone: 828 328-2213, Ext 3368
[email protected]
www.hsmsolutions.com

Catherine,

I'm not clear on what your management does want. You are shipping items to a physically separate location (by 5 miles). Probably the easiest solution is to use the IT's to transfer the items, but that will require a location be set up. You could add a custom UBE that uses the IT document # to output a PDF that shows the detail of the IT -- it would be a relatively minor mod to the IT program.

If you want to use ST/OT, those are used for shipping between branch/plants, and will require setup of branch/plants, locations, and the Doc Types themselves (ST, OT) including AAI's, etc. The ST/OT is definitely a more formalized method and is useful if you wish to run requirements planning for each branch/plant. If your planning is for just one b/p, then I don't think the ST/OT would be as good a fit for you.

Nothing's for free, but given what you've listed, it sounds like your current IT approach, maybe with an added UBE, might give you what you're really needing.

Please post what you finally decide to do, to share with the rest of the JDEList community. Good luck!

Good morning Don,

Thank you for your post back to me on June 9th. I knew that setting up a new Branch Plant to get the proper paperwork was going to be the answer but sometimes you need to make sure there is no other way. I shared your answer with management and and they agreed that a new branch plant to the warehouse location 5 miles from the plant is the correct solution.

Much appreciated,
Catherine

Catherine,

I'm not clear on what your management does want. You are shipping items to a physically separate location (by 5 miles). Probably the easiest solution is to use the IT's to transfer the items, but that will require a location be set up. You could add a custom UBE that uses the IT document # to output a PDF that shows the detail of the IT -- it would be a relatively minor mod to the IT program.

If you want to use ST/OT, those are used for shipping between branch/plants, and will require setup of branch/plants, locations, and the Doc Types themselves (ST, OT) including AAI's, etc. The ST/OT is definitely a more formalized method and is useful if you wish to run requirements planning for each branch/plant. If your planning is for just one b/p, then I don't think the ST/OT would be as good a fit for you.

Nothing's for free, but given what you've listed, it sounds like your current IT approach, maybe with an added UBE, might give you what you're really needing.

Please post what you finally decide to do, to share with the rest of the JDEList community. Good luck!

I do not understand why ST-OT within same Branch/plant should not work. I am using this at one of the client. It is working fine.
Regards,
Kamlesh

I do not understand why ST-OT within same Branch/plant should not work. I am using this at one of the client. It is working fine.
Regards,
Kamlesh
Hi Kamlesh

I need to track inventory movement in same branch plant without doing multiple IT. I mean in same branch plant location A to intransit then to location B with in one transaction no multiple IT. I believe STOT is only option bypassing AR . Any thoughts

Thank you

Hi Kamlesh

I need to track inventory movement in same branch plant without doing multiple IT. I mean in same branch plant location A to intransit then to location B with in one transaction no multiple IT. I believe STOT is only option bypassing AR . Any thoughts

Thank you

Back