Invalid characters on cut/paste

ajlull

Hi all:

I am working at an AS400 OS/DB2 shop that is having downstream issues with characters that SQL server finds as invalid upon trying to assimilate the data from the source. We are XE SP24(Looking to upgrade) and are looking to see if there is a solution on our source system(AS400) to eliminate the constant errors on our outlying systems not recognizing these invalid chars.

1. It appears that these characters come from importing or cut/paste from excel.

2. Are there changes that can be made to OS400 that can eliminate chars that are incompatible?

Any suggestions for how we can eliminate these characters without customization?

AJ

SYS: AS400 os/DB2 XE SP24
Config: High AV. Mimix Multi Site.
Data replication for other systems to SQL Server 2000, 2005.

**any other info available at any time.

AJ,

I'm guessing that you might be running into a CCSID Issue - where your current ODBC Driver's Character Set does not match that of the M$'s Character Set.

Can you provide a little more information? What are the issues you are seeing? How current are your ODBC Drivers for your XE System (this might be one of those opportunities where you fix something, even though it does not appear to be broke...).

I believe there was a 'substancial' CCSID fix from IBM / iSeries folks in 2007 - whereby they aligned the character sets to be more-compatible with those of M$ and other systems.

(db)

We primarily see it on data that was pasted by a user into JDE or where a character a backward ' is received by MSSQL and causes a stored procedure or data extract to fail. I am currently looking at all of our servers to make sure that they are all on the most current version of Client Access. That may help.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Back