Installed Client Package Info Utility

jolly

VIP Member
Hi All,

Find it a drag to see what's installed on all your Citrix and Fat clients? Me too, so I hacked up this utility, which is an Excel Spreadsheet with embedded VBA macros to hunt out Registry entries on remote machines to get their Update/Full package install info, Client Access level and Service Pack.

Notes:
- This is free for your use AT YOUR OWN RISK. I disclaim any liability if it does anything unexpected!

- If you redistribute please acknowledge myself and JDELIST as the source.

- I've added a column for ClientAccess service level. If you are unlucky enough to work on a non-AS400 backed JDE site you may want to rewrite the function behind the cell to pick up your ODBC driver details

- For this to work against network hosts you probably need an administrator account

- As it uses macros, you need to have these enabled. If you are concerned about macro viruses (and you should be) you can always disable macros and hand check the VBA code yourself - there's not much there.

- Take care with the Machine Name column. If the machine is not visible on the network it can take a long time to come back with the error message. IN OTHER WORDS DO NOT PRESS "REFRESH" until you have substituted in your own machine names - unless you like looking at an hour glass for an hour!

- This thing could do with a bit of prettying up and robustifying - feel free to repost it back here if you improve it.

Note to sysadmins - Feel free to stick it (on the downloads forum) B^)

Attachments

• 87646-PackageSummary.xls
    56.5 KB · Views: 147
Note: Corrected bug where local machine could not be displayed.

Attachments

• 87814-PackageSummary1.xls
    60 KB · Views: 121
Hi Jolly,
you might be up against some competition in this area - as there is a commercial (e.g. fully tried, tested and referencable) solution out there from Pastuhov Consulting called (not surprisingly "Report client Packages" - take a look at
http://www.1stconsulting.biz/Pastuhov.htm (about 1/2 way down the page) to see what your up against!

Warm regards

Peter

Well, you have a choice then :)

Mine is free of charge and includes source code, and also reports Service Pack and Client Access level (for those who are on AS400).

However Alex's has one excellent feature that I hadn't thought of - querying all the machines. Maybe I'll update mine to query the Machine Master/Detail files to get the list of Machines and PathCodes to query over.

Cheers,
JohnO

Back