Installation of 733.2 - Problem

WSchmatz

We installed release B73.3.2 in March of 2000 into our CRP & Pristine environments, from release B73.3. base.
Due to several issues testing was delayed until June & in earnest in October.
During this period, development was going on in our Dev environment & users were making changes to versions of UBE's in our Production environment. With none of these changes reflected in our CRP environment.
We tried to run an installation using an "Installation Planner" outlined in chapter 5 of The "Cumulative Update For AS/400 Systems" manual. Then ran the Installation Workbench.
The Specification Merge had 2670 errors. It is my understanding that this occurred because the system portion was updated during the initial install.

Question:
Do we have to follow the instructions in Chapter 10 "Updating the Production Environment" in the "Cumulative Update For AS/400 Systems" manual, with the added step of moving all modified UBE's to the updated path prior to the update?

Has anyone had a similar problem while upgrading?

The help line has not been of much help here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill Schmatz

Bill Schmatz
Business Systems Solutions, Inc

Hi Bill,
Although we are not on AS400 box but I have some question and suppose your answers will make easier for us to provide you with help.

1.) Which Path Codes have you upgraded and when?
2.) Development and version modification do happened on B733 base on B7332?
3.) Do your CRP and PROD environment share the same Path Code (e.g. PROD) or they have their own Path Code (PROD and CRP)?
4.) Has your developments on DEV Checked In or Object Transfered to any other Path Code (e.g. PROD or CRP)?

Finally, I suppose that you have to move all modified UBE's to the updated path prior to the update.

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Zoltan

The path code for CRP was upgraded in March of 2000. We are attempting to upgrade DEV now and PROD next month.

Development and version modification has occurred in PROD (B733 Base) by financial users and in DEV (B733 Base) by developers. Most of these have been transferred to PROD. We could not transfer them to CRP (B7332) because object transfer does not work between release levels. Some of the objects have been moved from DEV to CRP via a checkout and a checkin.

CRP and PROD do not share the same path code.

You believe that we must update CRP (B7332) with all modified objects and versions before we continue?

Bill Schmatz
Business Systems Solutions, Inc

Bill,
By our experiences, all modified objects have to be reside under a Path Code before you upgrade it.
Further, you have to revise all of your custom mods and add-on developments and to retro-fit in meny case.
Sorry, but this is the situation, I well know it, believe me.

My further suggestion, that apply the ESU handling enhancement related ESU/ASU which was rolled back from XE to B7332. It could make easier ESU implementation, have the possibilty to restore, have a Visual ER Compare functionality. Unfortunately, we haven't installed it yet (It could spare a lot of time for me).
If you want to know more about it then visit the Knowledge garden and search for the announcment. Last time I have seen that it is yet on the middle on the entry screen of KG.
You can also see the thread:
B7332 ESU Installation Enhancements ESU/ASU One World / XE Zoltan_Gyimesi 1/9/01 11:13 AM

Best regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back