Install 9.0 Diary - Server Manager

Jack_Crouch

Well Known Member
I am keeping a little log of my installation discoveries as this old XE CNC cowboy attempts to put in 9.0. I might post a few observations on them just for grins (to display my ignorance).

So with a new install/version it usually starts out (for me) with a declaration of "I will use all God given (Oracle) tools available and will not stray into doing it my own way - I will keep versions current - I will try to go vanilla and have Oracle maintain the software I pay them to maintain". Then reality fades in...

I gotta tell you during this install I find Server Manager confusing still. Specifically when/if it is used during the install process of various components itself. It seems to be more of a thing that one sets up after sweating through the install of various things. Then one "points" it to the server components in play. Then after that it sounds as though you could (for example) deploy a tools release from it. But I am highly skeptical. If I tell it to deploy 8.98.3.2 to my Enterprise Server, what portion of all the things required to put in a new tools release does it really do?

I can see it taking the par file and getting it up to the i. Does it 1) endnet on the target 2) rename the existing E900SYS library and ifs 3) restore the new E900SYS library and ifs 4) move the printqueue 5) put the jde.ini, sbs, jobds all back together 6) do a strnet 7) do the linkbsfn 8) do a porttest 9) send you an email that all is good.

Obviously it will not do all those things. I am interested to find out how much it does do for a tools deployment. I am guessing it stops at replacing your "ftp" steps that one had to do in the old days. However... the install so far make me think the old days are not looking that old. And hence my confusion of when Server Manager "kicks in".

Well OK. Since this morning I have slogged through registering the Enterprise and WAS Servers. I think Oracle Collection Manager is doing what it is supposed to do (shows running). Then I guess I finally got what I was asking for in terms of Server Manager "doing something" as far as distributing the JAS tools release and creating the HTML server instance. So now I understand its necessity a bit more. It is pretty nice to view logs and handle the configuration "ini" files of ES and JAS all from one place. And to stop/start services of ES, WAS and HTML.

I have probably skimmed through the Server Manager's 658 pages 4 times over the last week. Today was a slower and more thoughtful read.

Going through each step on this install is like some kind of Lord of the Rings movie - each step of the way presents a new hurdle (especially those of us who do not do this for a living). Those movies went on forever.

So all these servers up and such... and I now find out that the port I chose for HTTP is in use somehow. Doh...

Jack,

This knowledge document on Oracle support might come in handy

E1: SVM: JDEdwards EnterpriseOne Server Manager Reference Information Index [ID 975683.1]

It has instructional videos(MP4 format) on performing various Server Manager tasks. I have not looked at them yet so cannot comment on the quality , but it's worth a look I figure

Just to finish some of this off since original post... I have become a pretty big fan of the Server Manager. The configs (history of changes), the logs, the starting/stopping and the stats are quite nice.

Turns out that Oracle Collection Manager does not work with 8.98 yet. So that was the answer to that one. It does not work with XE or Hyperion either.

That's OK, I know it takes a while to get software cooking. My gripe is that whenever you create SRs on the Oracle site, it chastises you for not using OCM and wants you to explain why you are not using it. Seems like with all the info in an SR regarding product and such, the site would know better than to holler at all your MyOracle users about how they do not have OCM going when it is not supported for the product in question.

Back