Input for Xe Tech Best Practices

• Thread starter jdebestpractice
  • Start date

jdebestpractice

Hello, presently there are efforts being made at JD Edwards to define some technical Best Practices. While we are still in the scope defining phase of the project, I am putting some ideas on the drawing board for some topics for a Best Practice series. To clarify, a best practice series can be just that, a JDE recommended best practice for a current ambiguous technical process, or it can also be a series designed to fill in the gaps where there is a lack of JDE information out there on the Knowledge Garden or in our documentation. To give you a couple of examples that we are presently looking at, we are looking at a series for Software Updates, OMW, Package Builds, Multiple Foundation, XE V2 Upgrade, and a couple others. I am looking for input. If you have an idea for a subtopic of one of these abovementioned series, or if you have another idea for a main topic for a series, please share you opinions. Keep in mind, that I am initially focusing on topics that will have the biggest and widest impact. I am only looking for idea on topics for a series, and not a recommended best practice procedure. Thank you in advance for you time and contribution.

Hi Stranger,
Firstly I'm glad that JDE is looking into improving its business by putting the Best Practices topic on its agenda :)
Secondly, I am not very sure how/what our input should be like.
Is it a way to organize the series, or are you looking for things we would like to see more accommodating, easier to be used, ...
Please, provide an example and I'll be happy to follow up promptly.
You're very welcome,
Adrian Chimirel

Xe U3 SP17, Oracle 806, Citrix, HTML, FormScape 2.1 Ent RS/6000, AIX 4.2, Dep NT4

Hello Adrian, thanks for your input. I am looking in to areas of opportunity for JD Edwards to come out with some supported recommendations on the Technical side of OneWorld. For example, we have got a lot of feedback showing there is a need for Best Practices recommendations with the Software Update Process. For example, there will be a Best Practice series for Software Updates addressing issues such as Monitoring and Managing ESUs and ASUs, Promotion of Software Updates, etc.. There will be a Best Practice series on Object Management Workbench, Service Pack Testing, and others. Right now we are gathering information for these and other topics. Really, I am looking for just about any constructive input on the type of information and JDE recommendation you may need for OneWorld. I received an email requesting that I get rid of half of the bugs in OneWorld and that I fix the issues with our Response Line. Suggestions like this are not what I would consider constructive and of course is not feasible given my job description. I’m only trying to help where I can. Thanks again for input.

jdebestpractice,

I think you are on the right track by concentrating on the following areas: OMW, Service Pack testing (e.g. multiple foundations), and ESU/ASU monitoring and management. Other areas that took us a while to get operational were: the need for and frequency of full package builds; the method of deployment of update packages (we now use a deployment group instead of individual machine names).

I encourage other JDELister's that have been struggling to make your needs known -- JDE is listening!

Don Sauve
Wagstaff, Inc.
OW XE, Update 1, SP15.1, HP-UX 11.0, Oracle 8.1.6

OK then, let's jump!
- OneWorld software Change Management Procedures. Change Management topic deals with HOW a Change is Initiated, Documented, Analyzed, Developed, Tested, Promoted ... and so on. Therefore all these steps should be Best Practised, I think.
- OMW is a VERY good start BUT (among other things) it lacks diagrams!
- I say Visual Tools and the List is startling:
- I say lists and Inconsistence raises its head (For Example drop-down list, or assignment list, or ...). I am searching for my variables, report variables, report constants, business view columns, .... hey, what is this? How did the simple SORT got soooo complicated? And, why? Have yo ever tried to find ONE element (that you are trying to assign to something or to make it be assigned to something else) into OneWorld's famous list control? I hope you got the idea, otherwise, I'll get into a more detailed explanation next time.
- Training is another topic coming from my heart (just finished Dev Tools 2). Why is the poor DEMO or Standalone, you name it, still the ONLY training platform available? I can tell this is the Poorest Practice I've ever met; and I notified JDE every single time (imagine, more than ten times in last three years) with no effect. However, coffee isn't missing; how come?
There should be some Best Practices for in-house as well as for @Training Centre, shouldn't they?
- I would look into the famous ISO9000/900x; there are Quality Criteria related to Software Development, to be analyzed, documented, developed ... and Finally put into Practice. Best Practice will fit fine.
- I am able to LOG a new issue on the web; why not following it up THERE, if I the User, choose so?
- It would help looking on how other competing (software) companies are dealing with Best Practices (IBM - somebody was referring the famous RedBooks, Oracle, Microsoft).
- Printing,
- Terminal Server,
- Security,
- Licensing
Warm regards,
Adrian Chimirel
PS Ignore the well-tempered approach, please; it's just business and passion, or viceversa.

Xe U3 SP17, Oracle 806, Citrix, HTML, FormScape 2.1 Ent RS/6000, AIX 4.2, Dep NT4

Adrian,

Thanks for your list. You mentioned one topic that I really missed -- Printing. Namely, why can't we send a print job to the printer via the OneWorld scheduler? How can we specify multiple copies to print? (The latter issue just came up here the other day, and we're looking at having to use a 3rd party forms tool, Optio, to make this happen). These are some VERY basic print controls that SHOULD be part of OneWorld (or any other package), and should also be included in a best practices so we don't all have to reinvent that darned wheel!

Don Sauve
Wagstaff, Inc.
OW XE, Update 1, SP15.1, HP-UX 11.0, Oracle 8.1.6

Re: RE: Input for Xe Tech Best Practices

Thanks Lisa, I searched the Inet for "itil", and .. THAT's very interesting! Still looking for some freebies, CU.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Adrian_Chimirel on 2/15/02 06:40 AM.</FONT></P>

Back