impact of anti-virus on E1 web session

cncjay

Well Known Member
We are using Trend Micro Anti-Virus software. Earlier this week, the users started to report sluggish performance. For example, when going from one screen to another, there's significant delay. For troubleshooting, I completely disabled the AV on my own workstation, and the performance dramatically improved. In talking to the network team, turns out they rolled a new service pack for the AV software so the timing of slowness being reported and installation of SP1 for AV seems to coincide.

Has anyone run into a similar issue, and if so how did you address it? What exclusions can be used for the AV software. In checking Oracle support site, I only found one, that is .OCX extension.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

we are on Tools 8.98.3.1 running OAS on Windows 2008R2 platform. Majority of our end users are on Windows 7 professional x32bit.

Yes, I have also found that different AV's and their different versions may have a significanly different impact.

Following someone else's advice, based on their extensive experimentation, I went with AVG and from my experience, AVG is one of the least intrusive AV's out there.

And in as far as JDE is concerned vs. what new approaches modern AV's are taking, it may be the best way to exclude entire JDE folder structures: the files watched by AV may (and usually do) include .C, .H, .JS, .HT* and even possibly .*, so excluding files is certainly impractical and if excluding file types you would need to exclude quite a few and maybe miss some, while making AV monitoring of the folders pretty much useless by doing so anyway, so it's probably just easier to just exclude the top level folder entirely.

On the other hand, I once came across a site who did exactly that, but because their server was always exposed to the internet (a University), the JDE folder was crawling with a few dozen different viruses - not a pretty sight. So maybe excluding most file types is a better way...

Alex,

Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.

Just wondering, has Oracle provided any definitive feedback as to which specific directories that ought to be excluded on a given server. I'd imagine the x:\E900 (if on Rel 9.0) is the most obvious.

I'm particularly interested in knowing the settings for a typical end user's workstation who is accessing E1 through a browser session, how would one determine exclusions for that?

Regards,

To post a follow-up feedback with a resolution, we did the following:

working with TrendMicro, All E1 based URL's were excluded. In doing so, the performance returned to normal and was no longer an issue.

We also excluded all E900 and below folders on our logic/batch servers. On the web servers, we excluded all OracleAS_1 and below folders.

The end users are no longer seeing any performance lag.

Back