Identifying Copied / Deleted and Other Object Modifications

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Howdy,

I've determined that OMW Logging is a solid means to identify most Object Copies/Deletes and a solid chunk of Modified Objects. However, for those objects that cannot be Copied through OMW - I've hit a logical wall.

Assuming OMW Logging has never been purged:
- I can identify when most objects have been Copied/Deleted
- I can identify when objects have been promoted, and how far

I've created a nice little report that gives me all-sorts of Object info, based on logging. The biggest thing it is missing is the Copy Logic for identifying if a Function has been copied (or is a copy).

Other than a manual and lengthy project - has anyone determined a simple means for identifying Copied Functions (C, NER & TER)...

(db)

I think you would be hard pressed to find a "simple means" of identifying which BSFNs where a copy of another BSFN. Probably about the best you could do is find all BSFNs that use the same DSTR as a potential list of copy and mod BSFNs. If the DSTR was copied to....

I would think you would need to be proactive on this. We rarely copy a BSFN but if we do, we reference the original function name in the comments. We also maintain a list of all pristine modified objects INCLUDING copy and mods listing the original pristine source object and the target custom object. When applying ESUs we allways cross check the object list from the ESU with or list of pristine object mods. Any copied pristine objects will also show up during this cross check and we can identify any custom objects that may need to be retrofitted in addition to pristine object retrofits. Granted this method is not fool proof, it relies on the developer to make sure all modified pristine objects and copy and mods get put on this list, but once you get in the habit...

Thanks, B!

That 'hint' to look at the Data Structures is HUGE.

Aside from being proactive and following strict naming conventions - I'd prefer to gamble in Vega$ (where the odds are better??)

(db)

Back