HP 9000

Eric

Hi list:

I want to know if any of you had installed OneWorld XE
over a HP N4000
instead of HP9000?
It's mandatory to use HP9000?

Any of you have Raw Devices instead of File System?
Any of you have a configuration with a XP storage
device?

We're going to install the platform:

OW XE, Oracle, HP UX 11.0, Citrix Metaframe 1.8 over WTS

And i'd like to know,

Wich Service Pack do you suggest for this configuration?
I need to install some Mandatory ESU's?
Wich release of Oracle, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7?
Wich patch(es)for Oracle?
Wich patches for HP UX 11?
Wich patches of Meta Frame?

Thanks a lot in advanced!

----- End forwarded message -----

Eric,

1. No, we use a HP9000
2. Ask JDE if HP N4000 is supported
3. No we do not use RAW devices (not worth the hassle)
4. Not sure what the XP Storage is. We use the HP AutoRaid storage system (model 12H - 200+ GB) and are extremely happy with it. High performance and very low setup and maintenance costs.
5. For Service Packs - I assume you mean OneWorld - 15.1 is proving itself to be pretty good.
6. As far as I know there are no mandatory ESUs for SP 15.1.
7. Suggest you use Oracle 8.1.6.3 or higher - 8.1.7 or latest available is what I would use.
8. There are no mandatory HPUX patches - our UNIX admin has installed some but they were for the backup software (OmniBack) or because HP reccommended we install. HPUX 11 has been rock solid as far as I'm concerned.
9. Sorry - we don't use Citrix. All FAT clients here.

Hope this information is helpful.

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE SP15

HP9000 is a family of HP servers comprised of the series A, D, E, G, I, K, L, N, R, S, T, and SuperDome (I may have missed one or two). They are differentiated by processor speed, expandability, etc. but are all PA-RISC. I run on an A180 and N4000 without Unix-related issues. The L and N series functionally replace the popular K series.

On a separate note, the AutoRaid is easy to configure and has microcode to dynamically change the RAID level from 0/1 to 5 as the data access patterns change. However, I would be wary of ever powering it off. On two different occasions, we have powered off per HP instructions (data gets purged from cache to disk) but on power up we lost 2 disks one time and 3 the other time. This in a unit that only holds 12 disks. If you lose more than 1 disk you have "an issue" and it's time to restore from tape . . .

Clark

OneWorld Xe
SP 15
HP-UX 11.0, Oracle 8.1.6

Clark, thx for clarifying the HP Model question.

Regarding the AutoRaid though. Our AutoRaid has been through several power cycles (most planned, a few unplanned) with no loss of data/drives as you describe. Did you contact HP when these problems occurred? I am very interested in knowing why this happened.

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE SP15.1

Back