How To Reset the SA Password for 89820 Service Pack Users from Command Line

tiradoj

tiradoj

Well Known Member
Hello All

I was surprised this tip wasn't already on this list but here it is for those CNCs who like to use SQL Server Express application on the workstations and PRECONFIGURED a JDELOCAL instance. Yes I said JDELOCAL instead of JDESSELOCAL. :) Name doesn't really matter but I got in habit of using JDELOCAL. I also use a FULL BLOWN SQL Server instance on Deployment Server-the GUI 89820 ReConfigureMSDE works on Dep Svr because there is a SQLAgent the GUI looks for but won't work on the SSE clients since there is no agent.

Copy the 89721 version of ReConfigureMSDE into the 89820 bin32 directory but rename the 89820 version first. Next here is the EXACT SYNTAX for a (local)\JDELOCAL instance on a SSE client workstation: 'ReConfigureMSDE -TSSE -I(local)\JDELOCAL -pJDE'

Do not include single quotes of course. Easy Peasy. Don't worry about apparent inconsistencies between MSDE and TSSE :) the 'JDE' after the -p is the current password for sa account. That is a capital I not an L in front of (local)\JDELOCAL. This is what I was looking for and is a LOT safer than worrying about downgrading the Dep Server SQL Server full blown instance to SSE runtime engine.

I couldn't find this on Oracle website and Oracle support either didn't know it or didn't want to distribute the knowledge??? Not sure but there it is.

Good luck!
Joe Tirado
Senior CNC Consultant

Back