How to Override a UBE's Job Queue

Crazy_About_JDE

Crazy_About_JDE

Well Known Member
How to Override a UBE\'s Job Queue

Hello, list! We know how to set a user's default job queue in the JDE.INI, and we know how to set a UBE version's preferred job queue.

A situation has come up where it would he helpful to easily override that job queue for one or more versions. Does anyone know how?

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to Override a UBE\'s Job Queue

Hey Jim,

What we did was creating a complete custom output management function. In a custom table, we specify which report for which user(group) goes in which jobqueue.

All jobs go to a non-existant dummy-queue. A deamon-process (jde trigger doesn't work on job-master... grrrr) checks every 5 secs for jobs in the dummy-queue and then changes the job-master record to the correct queue based on the entries in our custom table.

The custom table can contain blank entries for defaults:
GROUP-X <blank report> <blank version> JOBQ-X means
By default all reports from GROUP-X go into JOBQ-X.
<blank user/group> REPORT-X VERSION-Y JOBQ-Z means
Every REPORT-X VERION-Y goes to JOBQ-Z.

This wasn't too much of a hassle, however... once we had this going, next questions arose: I want to specify a different printer, a different tray, a different number of copies, and... I want it based on the workstation rather than the user, so the reports come out 'close' to the workstation. We covered all these requests but to say that it was simple... not really!

Hope this helps,
Lambert

Are you referring to something similar as to where you override location at runtime for a UBE. If that is what you are referring to I don't think that this is available in Xe. A long while back GSS told me that this was a feature for a future release, not sure if it is available on the newer releases of OW.

If you multiple servers, you can choose advanced in batch versions and select a different server. I do this all the time. As far as different queues, the only way I know how to do that is to create a new version (often a "throw away"), designate a different queue in the job definition and save it.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Tim,

I agree with Soul_Glo that the functionality to select a jobqueue at the time the UBE is submitted is not available in Xe, I don't know about later vsersions. Gregg Larkin's suggestion about creating a new version is about the only way to approximate what you require without making modifications. It sounds like Lambert (lcaljouw) has a "Rolls Royce" solution that will provide the greatest flexibility. Though I wonder if a database table trigger (as opposed to a JDE table trigger) will work instead of using the deamon.

However a simpler modification would be to modify the P986162 to allow for the selection of the Job Queue at the time the UBE is submitted. Though I do not like modifying standard objects, sometimes it is necessary. I have modified the P986162 to Print Immediate for selected users using a custom UDC. In your case you could modify the P986162 to use one custom UDC to limit the users who can select the job queue and another custom UDC to limit the job queues from which they can select and/or enter/use. If you are interested the attachment to post 102978 has the details of the print immediate mods I made to the P986162. It may help you with any mods you want to make.

That's my AUD 0.02 worth (1.5 US cents), I hope it helps. All the best for a solution.

Thank you everyone for such provocative feedback!

I came across this product a little while ago at the OUG conference. It’s specifically designed to address JDE job queue management.

A key feature I think you might be interested in is its rules based optimisation which includes UBE versions. Other features include admin and user display of all queues, threshold based alarms, intelligent prioritisation of individual jobs.

Checkout the product brochure here:
http://www.velos-it.com/pdf/JobQ-Insert.pdf

It’s also surprisingly inexpensive!

We also evaluated velos-it solution. The only problem is that is do not support versions. And in our case due the number of countries we have different queues for countries for the same object.
Our alternative was to develop something using triggers in submitted jobs... but there was a new issue. In some cases the complete name of the version is truncated. So you have the job name R5500001_UK1PTP00_93892983_PDF (If you notice the version name is truncated in 2 digits) making almost impossible to retrieve the version name in oracle.
So our solution was to put a trigger into the database that changes the status of the job to 'O' (Override) and a daemon runs execute a BSFN that reads the BLOB field into the submitted jobs and retrieve the version name into the report and reads a new table with Job rules. This can make version make the queue and priority overrides. Also for some jobs we have some rules that cannot execute during some periods, so the job stay with the status 'O'. When the job is authorized to execute will change to 'W' again and follow the normal rules.
Since this table is dinamic, we can manage some changes on the fly or even to lock some applications not to execute.

Hope this helps.

Back