How to load fonts to a PCL printer (for direct printing of bar codes) ?

antoine_mpo

Reputable Poster
Hi list,

We use HP PCL printers and we need to print directly some JDE reports. In some of them, we use custom fonts (for example bar codes fonts).
We need to install those fonts on our printers, but i didn't find how !!
Do you know a procedure/programs to do so ?

It's pretty urgent.

Thanks very much for your help.

Antoine,
OW system administrator.

You will probably need to purchase some flash memory for your printers. You would then use a printer management tool to upload the font to the printers flash memory. Otherwise, the next time the printer is power-cycled...POOF! I have a utility that can do the job if you haven't already located one. Most printer makes require that you specify the upload location first (download location in printer parlance), either through the printers operator panel or a software switch. If you intend on copying the font to the device every time you print barcodes, you won't need the flash memory. Just make sure your printers have enough RAM to load the entire document as it is sent, else you will be running into buffer limitations and slow downs at your print spooler.

Hi Charles,

I'd be interested in the utility to upload font (or an may be an internet site to download it).

When you say it's possible to copy the font to the device each time you print barcodes, how do you do that ?

Thanks for your help.

Antoine.
OW system Administrator

PCL is the problem because it does not download fonts. Most lasers these days support postscript which automatically downloads fonts with the job. We're in the midst of implementation and just got this working yesterday :) No hardware or loadable printer fonts required. We just used the Trutype barcode font included with EnterpriseOne (client) and configured our HP and Lexmark printers as postscript in E1.

If you must use PCL then the other posts are correct, you'll need to download fonts manually each time the printer is restarted or purchase flash for the printer to retain the font.

Español:
Hola mi amigo:
necesitas consultar el manual de desarrollo de reportes "Enterprise Report Writing 1" Pagina 6-73 a 6-77, y tienes que tomar en cuenta la siguente informacion:

debes de tener en tu computadora y en donde quieras ejecutar el UBE el sigiente archivo: c39m3.ttf, este archivo tiene las fuetes que por default te puede aceptar J.D.Edwards. y tambien lo debes tener en la carpeta de:
B7\system\resource\truetype.

asi como en la carpeta de
Winnt\fonts

y al momento que diseñes el reporte deberas usar la siguiente fuente que es "BC C39 3 to 1 Medium ".

Mientras tu impresora acepte el formato grafico, no debes tener ningun problema para imprimir los codigos de barras, aqui elaboramos pruebas en una impresora HP-1200,HP-1100, y ZEBRA.

Nota. es importante que las puedas ver los codigos desde el diseñador de reportes y en acrobat reader.
y los caracteres que acepta son A,B,C....X,Y,Z. y 0,1,2...8,9.
Formato del codigo de Barras:
* informacion *

espero que te sirvan estos datos.

------------------------------------
Ingles:
Hello my friend:

you need to consult manual of development of reports "Enterprise Report Writing 1" Page 6-73 to 6-77, and must take into account the siguente information:

you must have in your computer and in where you want to execute the UBE the sigiente file: c39m3.ttf,

this file has fuetes that by default you can accept J.D.Edwards. and also you must have it in the folder
of: B7\system\resource\truetype.

asi like in the folder of Winnt\fonts

and at the deberas moment that you design the report to use the following source that is "BC 3 C39 to 1 Medium".

While your printer accepts the grafico format, you must not have never problem to print the codes of bars

we elaborated tests in a printer HP-1200, HP-1100, and ZEBRA.

Note. it is important that you can see the codigos them from the
designer of reports and in acrobat reader. and the characters that
accept are A,B,C....x,y,z. and 0.1.2... 8,9. Format of I cosay of Bars:

* information *

I hope that they serve these data to you.

Atte.
Jose Vargas (MEXICO)

Sorry for the delay, been away for a while. I'm sending you the utility in a zip file. Hope this helps.

Back