How do u work with returnable packaging?

PONDI

Hello,

My company is a manufacturer, we ship finish goods on palets. A site can ship up to 1000 palets a day by truck usually (around 5000 finished goods per palet). We have a mix of palets types, some are returnable and not invoiced to the customers, some are lost and invoiced. We sometines have to ship partial packs.

We're currently using World 7.3 and about to move to E1 8.12 and we try to rethink our way of working with packaging. Our key objectives are:
- follow up acurately stock of busy palets and free palets on site, follow up stock of palets at customer's.
- track properly the return of palets from customer.
- Have the detail of packaging on shipping docs.

Now in 7.3, we have the palet as a stock item, in a phantom item in the BOMs of finished goods. The palet is issued at booking production. When we ship the palets appear on the advice note, for the return we use a credit order.

- we use a JDE report to evaluate the number of pallets busy on site according to our stock of FG but it is not very acurate I'm afraid.
- we use a JDE report to evaluate the stock at customer's
- People are unhappy to use the CO for return so we miss many returns so it spoils the report mentioned above.
- we don t like to have the cost of packaging in the cost of finsihed good.

This is where we are at the moment, I would like to know if I am missing something or if in 8.12 there are new functionalitites helpful in this context.

Thanks for your help.

Have a look at the Container Management chapter in the inventory manual if
it could solve your question.

Back