HOT!! Anybody know of any issues if I install anti-virus software on our deployment server?

tgore

tgore

Reputable Poster
HOT!! Anybody know of any issues if I install anti-virus software on our deployment server?

Need to know if it is "safe" to install anti-virus software on our deployment server. What should I watch out for?

Re: HOT!! Anybody know of any issues if I install anti-virus software on our deployment server?

This text is from a posting on the list a couple of years ago. I kept the text, but not the author's name so I apologize to the author in advance for not mentioning your name. I have encountered no issues with NAV on my deployment server.

"d) Antivirus can be a pain in your teeth ;-) If you can't disable it while installing, at least exclude .C, .H, .OBJ, .DDB and .XDB files from being scanned."

Re: HOT!! Anybody know of any issues if I install anti-virus software on our deployment server?

We have NAV on our Deployment Server, and disable it when we do full package builds. We not only disable System Realtime Protection, but we also have to go into the Advanced screen and turn OFF the feature that automatically turns NAV back on after 30 minutes of being off.

If we build the full package from a client, we also turn NAV off on that client. After the build, we turn NAV back on for the deployment server and the client used for the build (if applicable).

If you don't do this, I've seen substantial time differences in full package build times (1-2 hours more if NAV is left turned on).

Thanks to all who replied. NOw I will have to see if the "powers taht be" will allow the software to be diabled when I am building full packages. At the very least, perhaps we can bypass per Charles' suggestion.

Thanks again.

I would suggest McAfee - it seems to impact a deployment server the least based on what I have seen in the past - NAV is a real pain - as is Trend.

It is certainly necessary, however, to have some sort of antivirus protection on your deployment server because of that B7333 share.

RE: HOT!! Anybody know of any issues if I install anti-virus software on our deployment server?

Sorry Jon, but the only thing I found mcafee good for was a coaster... But
seriously, I would normally switch off whatever av is running on the
deployment for the duration of a package build. Or if im not allowed I will
put in exclusions for the package folder.
Regards,
Kieran Fitzgerald

Thanks to all for you quick response. JDE's solution is to turn off anti-virus. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having it there in the first place?

Most of the discussion was centered around full package builds. What about update builds? Any significant increase in the time it takes to build an update package? Also, what about recompress?

If you're going to use McAfee, make sure you turn it off in the Control Panel|Services level rather than just disabling from the system tray. If you disable on the System Tray only, it seems to keep scanning. Some sites I have seen just exclude the JDE dirs from AV scanning, but then that is not much good in terms of protection.

Never had a problem with Server Protect (Trend).

Never used NAV on corporate servers - prefer genuine corporate products. NAV doesnt really cut it in my books.

Definitely turn it off on the Deployment Server if you are running full package builds. On update pkgs, it is going to depend on how big the update is and if you are compressing foundation.

Antivirus solutions

Antivirus scanner can be used to scan essential executables and libraries. Just remember that “scan all” extensions option in any AV will slow entire OS, not only applications.

Back