Help to choose web servers (WebLogic, OAS, Webshpere)

Richard Lee

Dear JDE experts,

My enterprise are going to upgrade enterpriseone from 8.11sp1 to 9.0 and also migrate to oracle VM environment.
I have no idea to know which web server has better performance and easy manage for JDE.

Please help me to choose best one and thanks in advnace.

company size: <100 jde users
web servers: 2 (1 active, 1 standby)
users login from 6 timezones

Oracle Application server is the best in my opinion. It's easy to
manage and its fast. Websphere is just mainly clunky and since Weblogic
is not included in tech foundation you have to pay separate for it.

-Paul

On Behalf Of Richard Lee
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 9:58 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Help to choose web servers (WebLogic, OAS, Webshpere)

Dear JDE experts,

My enterprise are going to upgrade enterpriseone from 8.11sp1 to 9.0 and
also migrate to oracle VM environment.
I have no idea to know which web server has better performance and easy
manage for JDE.

There are tons of threads that go over this question over and over again. If you do a search you'll find plenty of recent threads on it.

One point of advice though, OAS appears to be on the way out and WebLogic is the future as far as the Oracle provided web server solution, so if you decide to go Red Stack I would suggest going with WebLogic over OAS.

[ QUOTE ]
There are tons of threads that go over this question over and over again. If you do a search you'll find plenty of recent threads on it.

One point of advice though, OAS appears to be on the way out and WebLogic is the future as far as the Oracle provided web server solution, so if you decide to go Red Stack I would suggest going with WebLogic over OAS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that logic, we are migrating to 9.0 and plan on going to Weblogic. One caveat, check with Oracle to see if they will allow you to upgrade to weblogic under your licensing. They are charging us for Weblogic uplift. I am not privy to the entire contract negotion, but it is my understanding that they are giving us full credit for OAS and charging the difference for Weblogic. It's not huge dollars but it needs to be budgeted for.

[ QUOTE ]
Dear JDE experts,

My enterprise are going to upgrade enterpriseone from 8.11sp1 to 9.0 and also migrate to oracle VM environment.
I have no idea to know which web server has better performance and easy manage for JDE.

[/ QUOTE ]

What platform are you currently running?

Are you willing to transition platforms?

What is your current in-house (or contracted) expertise?

What is your current licensing?

You really are not going to see any performance difference in Java Application servers at that level of load, it's all going to be about the same.

You licensing and expertise should be driving the selection.

OAS is being phased out so eventually you'll have to go back to Websphere o r to Weblogic. =A0I agree I love OAS too but it's a goner and yes Websphere is very clunky. =A0The sad thing is Weblogic isn't much better when it com es to being clunky to configure.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
thnaks. actually, i have no knowledge about these webservers.

A: Websvr is running on Windows 2003 server + IBM WebShpere 6.0 upon oracle 10g on hp/ux.

A: Yes. In fact. There's no significant effect for us. But if has extra cost, we will consider choose cheaper one.

A: There's no CNC admin and may hire ocs on call.

A: per users
confused.gif

In fact, in my region, there're no any training courses of webshpere and less people know to tune and mgt webshpere since my cnc admin quit from yr ago. It seems that Weblogic becomes oracle's primary star app svr and oas+webshpere may be going to phaseout.

I'm afraid choose wrong one may lead to dissupport or lousy performance especially in a all-in-one OVM environment.

Richard,

I'll disagree with Paul Shearer above, WebSphere is not clunky to me. If you have experience or expectations then you will find one 'clunkier' than another.

Jeff makes the point that your licensing (red stack, blue stack, or purple stack) along with expertise are the two main criteria for the size client you are proposing to support.

So, is their licensing red stack, blue stack, or purple stack? If it is red, then probably WebLogic or OAS, blue then WebSphere, purple you will need to find out the licensed server.

As for expertise, I have found Oracle support to be equally proficient (!) regarding OAS and WebSphere.

-Ethan

[ QUOTE ]
A: Websvr is running on Windows 2003 server + IBM WebShpere 6.0 upon oracle 10g on hp/ux.

A: Yes. In fact. There's no significant effect for us. But if has extra cost, we will consider choose cheaper one.

confused.gif

In fact, in my region, there're no any training courses of webshpere and less people know to tune and mgt webshpere since my cnc admin quit from yr ago. It seems that Weblogic becomes oracle's primary star app svr and oas+webshpere may be going to phaseout.

I'm afraid choose wrong one may lead to dissupport or lousy performance especially in a all-in-one OVM environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is, with 100 users it is hard to go wrong with a web server choice as all will handle the load as long as the system is well architected. Choose the right person to architect and build the solution and then sit back and let it run. Once a web system is built, assuming it is properly sized, it is rare to have to touch it unless it is heavily (many with more users than you have) utilized.

As for "clunky", that depends on what you are used to. If you have been using WebSphere 6 then it won't be clunky, and heck you only use the console for the initial configuration and, depending on your tools release, to stop/start a cluster. Once everything is up and running one rarely goes into the interface except to do performance monitoring if you desire.

If you want to save money on licensing and you are on Red Stack licensing, put OAS on Linux. If you are on Blue Stack, which I suspect you are based on your "per user" answer to the licensing question, put WebSphere 7 on Windows 2008 or Linux depending on what expertise you have.

I am guessing that you are on the old "per seat" licensing that old time JDE customers love and Oracle hates. I think you will find that this licensing is financially advantageous and you should keep it no matter how hard Oracle tries to convince you otherwise and that it locks you in to Blue Stack, in effect making your web server decision for you.

In regards to desupport - WAS, OAS and WLS (WebLogic Server) are going to be supported for a long, long time. OAS is not going to be further developed so, while it will be supported, it will no longer advance technologically. Oracle has a long-term partnership agreement with IBM and IBM continues to develop WebSphere so it will be supported and will continue to advance. WSL is Oracle's product of choice but costs extra and isn't , I believe, the web server to choose quite yet.

Again, I think that you will check your licensing and find that you are Blue Stack (IBM Foundation) and will have to choose WebSphere to keep your current licensing agreement.

[ QUOTE ]

confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is, with 100 users it is hard to go wrong with a web server choice as all will handle the load as long as the system is well architected. Choose the right person to architect and build the solution and then sit back and let it run. Once a web system is built, assuming it is properly sized, it is rare to have to touch it unless it is heavily (many with more users than you have) utilized.

As for "clunky", that depends on what you are used to. If you have been using WebSphere 6 then it won't be clunky, and heck you only use the console for the initial configuration and, depending on your tools release, to stop/start a cluster. Once everything is up and running one rarely goes into the interface except to do performance monitoring if you desire.

If you want to save money on licensing and you are on Red Stack licensing, put OAS on Linux. If you are on Blue Stack, which I suspect you are based on your "per user" answer to the licensing question, put WebSphere 7 on Windows 2008 or Linux depending on what expertise you have.

I am guessing that you are on the old "per seat" licensing that old time JDE customers love and Oracle hates. I think you will find that this licensing is financially advantageous and you should keep it no matter how hard Oracle tries to convince you otherwise and that it locks you in to Blue Stack, in effect making your web server decision for you.

In regards to desupport - WAS, OAS and WLS (WebLogic Server) are going to be supported for a long, long time. OAS is not going to be further developed so, while it will be supported, it will no longer advance technologically. Oracle has a long-term partnership agreement with IBM and IBM continues to develop WebSphere so it will be supported and will continue to advance. WSL is Oracle's product of choice but costs extra and isn't , I believe, the web server to choose quite yet.

Again, I think that you will check your licensing and find that you are Blue Stack (IBM Foundation) and will have to choose WebSphere to keep your current licensing agreement.

Thanks for guys' answer. I've read tons of previous posts.
I think I will remain using webshpere for production use and try oas/owl for evaluation.

Back