E9.2 Has anyone installed 9.2 Standalone on Windows 10 Home? Getting 'The command failed with error -1' on E1local

I will Greg. The main thing is to ignore the 64 bit client talk in Oracle instructions (install 32 bit Oracle client BEFORE E1 Standalone files) install using JDE as Windows account with Admin privilege (I am superstitious) and use 12.1.3 WebLogic and do steps in proper order. I will put together notes and post here
Oracle should pay you for updating their crazy documentation! Thanks in advance for this

Very cool but not exactly free (note the small print). It's a shared environment however, yes? The OS is Windows 2019 (mine is Windows 2022) One has no control over status of instance (will instance be overwritten with 9273 tomorrow?); will instance even be there tomorrow?; no assurances the test data you enter today will be there tomorrow or can be entered, etc. .....It is important to point out these things to POWER USERS of JDE E1 who want THEIR OWN PRIVATE INSTANCE (like My Own Private Idaho? :)) of E1 to explore and experiment with: hence the continual need for a STANDALONE instance. :D
The instance is not shared. It's used by your AWS account. The instance will never be overwritten. All tools updates will be pushed out as new AMIs. The test data is persistent per AMI. This is 100 percent a private instance that allows you to explore the latest functionality using dev/test without having to manage the infrastructure and installation of the software. It should take no more than 15-20 minutes to provision all the necessary resources to be operational.

ooh

ooh this looks interesting, thanks!

can anyone with experience here tell me how much it would cost to run this per month? if I turn it off 20 days per month and only run it 10, would it be 1/3 less to run?
Hi Dave,

You can setup utilization thresholds to auto stop your instance. There's no reason to leave an instance running overnight, or maybe you forget that the instance is running, just have the auto stop functionality enabled and you are not billed for time used. It's super easy to setup and saves you time and dollars.

l just installed 9.2.0.0 Standalone on Windows 11 Home for a JDE colleague. Saved her 99 Euros :D I think I can do this blindfolded now. LOL - learning a ton about gotchas and latest tools and best practices with 9.2.X on VMWare/WinSvr2022 on full blown E1 lab instance

The instance is not shared. It's used by your AWS account. The instance will never be overwritten. All tools updates will be pushed out as new AMIs. The test data is persistent per AMI. This is 100 percent a private instance that allows you to explore the latest functionality using dev/test without having to manage the infrastructure and installation of the software. It should take no more than 15-20 minutes to provision all the necessary resources to be operational.
Hmm sounds too good to be true :D..the latest? Isn't the install on Win Svr 2019?.. anyway, someone has to maintain, troubleshoot, fix, expand E1 even at Amazon-that might as well be me and other CNCs. Do you work for Amazon? lol. yeah I'll keep doing it the way I've always done it. DEMO is installed on colleague's laptop. She doesn't have to pay anyone-not even me, she doesn't have to register anywhere, take pushy sales calls or get them in her email--maybe if I owned Amazon or worked for Amazon, I'd probably be singing a different tune...;p

Hmm sounds too good to be true :D..the latest? Isn't the install on Win Svr 2019?.. anyway, someone has to maintain, troubleshoot, fix, expand E1 even at Amazon-that might as well be me and other CNCs. Do you work for Amazon? lol. yeah I'll keep doing it the way I've always done it. DEMO is installed on colleague's laptop. She doesn't have to pay anyone-not even me, she doesn't have to register anywhere, take pushy sales calls or get them in her email--maybe if I owned Amazon or worked for Amazon, I'd probably be singing a different tune...;p
Latest EnterpriseOne features that is. I don't know how you benefit from Windows Server 2022 over 2019 but i guess you have your opinion. Also, you're comparing the Standalone DEMO to a full blown EnterpriseOne environment here, so: easy there buddy.

That's what makes EnterpriseOne such a unique and great piece of enterprise software. There are multiple options that work for each use case.

l just installed 9.2.0.0 Standalone on Windows 11 Home for a JDE colleague. Saved her 99 Euros :D I think I can do this blindfolded now. LOL - learning a ton about gotchas and latest tools and best practices with 9.2.X on VMWare/WinSvr2022 on full blown E1 lab instance
Can't wait to see what you come up with. I get the feeling you speak my language better than the oracle docs :D

Hi Dave,

You can setup utilization thresholds to auto stop your instance. There's no reason to leave an instance running overnight, or maybe you forget that the instance is running, just have the auto stop functionality enabled and you are not billed for time used. It's super easy to setup and saves you time and dollars.
Hey! Do you have any interest in presenting on this topic at a future TechSIG meeting? This would be a really interesting and pertinent topic for that group. We're looking at like 3+ months out at this point, but doesn't hurt to line the presentations up!

Hey Tiradoj - Once compiled, can you share your notes and areas that you would update Oracle Docs?

Thanks!
Greg
Ok Greg and everyone who is interested! This is what I do to install 9.2.0.0 Demo on Windows 10/11 Home (I may try to jury rig installing a more recent Tools Release/Service Pack on as time allows)

Order of events
(First, I collect all the software bits I need and put them in a folder called 'JDE supporting apps' from edelivery.oracle.com and free downloads of 7-zip, Adobe Reader, lusrmgr, etc so I am organized and can repeat the process at will)
1. Install JDK 1.7.0_80 (this for 9.2.0.0 base along with WebLogic 12.1.3)
2. Install redistributables (2010, 2013 and 2022 which has 2015 thru 2022)
3. Install Windows 10k (install the version stated in manual)
4. Install Visual Studio 2022 compiler if the user wants to play Developer
5. Install Oracle 32 bit Oracle client 12c release 12.1.0
6. Install WebLogic 12.1.3
7. Run OOESetup installer for installing E1Local (after properly extracting the zip files into correct Standalone dir structure using 7-Zip NOT native Windows extractor in File Explorer-...the 3 E1Local db cab files have to be extracted properly into a single folder and put in right location in Standalone structure-I also run the installers with the command line qualifiers (-ignore -Prereq etc check on Windows) - this info is in install manuals and available on My Oracle Support Knowledge base-I verify I can run sqlplus after E1Local install and can log into E1Local-follow prompt to reboot machine--to login to E1Local using SYS and SYSTEM you have to use ReconfigureDB.exe to swith from enhanced encryption to a plain text password--the you have to re run to put those accounts back to enhanced encryption to run E1)
8. Run Installer to install E1 applications, files, etc
9. Copy the tnsnames folder from c:\Oracle\E1Local\network\admin folder during E1Local to the oracle 32 bit client folder of same name (c:\app\client\user_name\12.1.0\client\network\admin in my case)
10. Install Adobe Acrobat Reader 8, 9 or 10 (this can be done earlier--I just wanted to add it as a step)
11. Double click 'EnterpriseOne Solution Explorer' icon (ActiveConsole.exe) that gets put on Desktop--wait 60 seconds for Security Server to fully initialize then sign in.

I tried to remember everything without re-writing a manual.

Intimidating for some, easy for others. Good luck!

Hey! Do you have any interest in presenting on this topic at a future TechSIG meeting? This would be a really interesting and pertinent topic for that group. We're looking at like 3+ months out at this point, but doesn't hurt to line the presentations up!
HI Dave, sure thing it would be great to present at a TechSIG meeting. Please send an email to: [email protected]

Latest EnterpriseOne features that is. I don't know how you benefit from Windows Server 2022 over 2019 but i guess you have your opinion. Also, you're comparing the Standalone DEMO to a full blown EnterpriseOne environment here, so: easy there buddy.
Ask Microsoft if there is a benefit to using Windows Server 2022--that's what software companies do: constantly upgrade their software and push their customers to upgrade...I don't know if there is a specific reason from an E1 perspective to benefit from 2019 to 2022..what I do know is many customers always want to be on the latest everything. :D I am not trying to be difficult. .....I simply made a point about the fact that things constantly change on systems and can be out of user's control when using a system controlled/updated by someone else and because someone said AWS had the "latest" combo of components on it and it doesn't clearly as I pointed out.... As a CNC with some customers it's like that Janet Jackson song "What have you done for me lately?' Many JDE customers want to know if I've installed "the latest E1 release on Windows Server 20XX" because that's what they are planning on moving to. And they (presumably) don't want to pay for a CNC to "learn" the gotchas between even minor release changes. I could have installed E1 9.2.6.0 a hundred times but if they are moving to 9.2.7.0 they will sometimes keep looking for a CNC who did 9.2.7.0 because again presumably the CNC knows ALL the possible gotchas for THAT release - even though the discovery process is NEW every single time with every single updated component of JDE. It is irrational frankly to expect a CNC to have done every single combination of release and platform else that's all they'd be doing but that's life.

I was comparing installing DEMO standalone on someone's laptop versus trying to learn the latest from registering and paying for it on AWS. The Pros and Cons. What is the issue with that? :)

One important tidbit on doing DEMO Installs...I suggest installing the full E1 client including DEVELOPMENT objects and Visual Studio 2022 compiler even if you are only an applications person and don't think you will ever use/need because ONE DAY...someone MAYBE you maybe a developer buddy will want to look at or compile or play with a business function and E1 installer won't install JUST the development objects during a select reinstall/second go around. (At least not in a straightforward way by re running E1 client) --it will foo bar the E1 client and you will have to UNINSTALL the client uninstall the E1Local db clean registry remove Services entry for Oracle (listener and ORCL service, etc) manually delete folders Oracle uninstaller doesn't delete re install WebLogic most likely...yeah there might be a workaround but I wanted to get back to working on the full instance of 9271 on VMWare.

Ask Microsoft if there is a benefit to using Windows Server 2022--that's what software companies do: constantly upgrade their software and push their customers to upgrade...I don't know if there is a specific reason from an E1 perspective to benefit from 2019 to 2022..what I do know is many customers always want to be on the latest everything. :D I am not trying to be difficult. .....I simply made a point about the fact that things constantly change on systems and can be out of user's control when using a system controlled/updated by someone else and because someone said AWS had the "latest" combo of components on it and it doesn't clearly as I pointed out.... As a CNC with some customers it's like that Janet Jackson song "What have you done for me lately?' Many JDE customers want to know if I've installed "the latest E1 release on Windows Server 20XX" because that's what they are planning on moving to. And they (presumably) don't want to pay for a CNC to "learn" the gotchas between even minor release changes. I could have installed E1 9.2.6.0 a hundred times but if they are moving to 9.2.7.0 they will sometimes keep looking for a CNC who did 9.2.7.0 because again presumably the CNC knows ALL the possible gotchas for THAT release - even though the discovery process is NEW every single time with every single updated component of JDE. It is irrational frankly to expect a CNC to have done every single combination of release and platform else that's all they'd be doing but that's life.

I was comparing installing DEMO standalone on someone's laptop versus trying to learn the latest from registering and paying for it on AWS. The Pros and Cons. What is the issue with that? :)
No one said ""latest" combo of components on it and it doesn't clearly as I pointed out." Here's what was written: "This is 100 percent a private instance that allows you to explore the latest functionality...." Even if that were the case, and you include the latest release of Windows, the AMI uses Windows 2019 because as Oracle states: "Note: Release 23 innovation for Tools is delivered with Tools 9.2.7, which supports Applications 9.2 and is only available for 64-bit Tools Foundation."

Currently 2019 is the only certified release of Windows that is supported by Oracle, which is why 2019 is used on the instance.

No one said ""latest" combo of components on it and it doesn't clearly as I pointed out." Here's what was written: "This is 100 percent a private instance that allows you to explore the latest functionality...." Even if that were the case, and you include the latest release of Windows, the AMI uses Windows 2019 because as Oracle states: "Note: Release 23 innovation for Tools is delivered with Tools 9.2.7, which supports Applications 9.2 and is only available for 64-bit Tools Foundation."

Currently 2019 is the only certified release of Windows that is supported by Oracle, which is why 2019 is used on the instance.

Ok AutoDeploy

Not sure what is bothering you but in case you are trying to make me look inaccurate? for lack of a better word

Let's keep going! :)

I said

The OS is Windows 2019 (mine is Windows 2022) One has no control over status of instance (will instance be overwritten with 9273 tomorrow?);

YOU said

Here's what was written: "This is 100 percent a private instance that allows you to explore the latest functionality

********NOTE YOUR WORDS 'LATEST FUNCTIONALITY'***

- Normally COMMONLY understood to mean OR at least AS I MEANT ALL COMPONENTS of JDE and RELATED to JDE

key phrase is ALL COMPONENTS

JDE
WINDOWS
ORACLE
etc

That is what I am referring to :)

We together so far?

As to what level is SUPPORTED by Oracle of Windows Server it is irrelevant in terms of what I WAS TALKING ABOUT and referring to here in my post and doing--just seeing what works on the latest available components I AM TESTING

WINDOWS SERVER 2022

Still with me?

Is there something else we need to clear up?

This is my initial post

If you don't care for my post or thread, you don't have to follow it or comment. No hard feelings.

Peace.

I come in peace! :)

1) Demo 9.2.0.0, at this point, is like saying you installed 8.0 compared to 9.2.7.x. The changes between objects and core are that dramatic. For starters, there was no such thing as Orchestrator in 9.2.0.0, and don't get me started on 64 bit, simplified webdev, WLS versions rife with security holes, thousand of object changes in UN7.... it's a pretty stark difference. They added the Release 22/23 part for a reason (as wacky as it is.)

I haven't tried to get 9.2.0.0 demo to a newer tools, it just seems like it would be rough to upgrade (you'd need a lot of RAM as well and plenty of elbow grease.)

2) Windows 2022 certification should be out any minute now. Its been on a slide for like 4 months, but I will say they're working overtime on eliminating the Deployment Server and basically de-C-ing CNC (anyway read that platform statement of direction lately? Homogenous platforms!)

3) The benefit of an AWS system as sold allows you to play with the more pertinent tools customers are looking for. While the number of net news is down to like, unicorn status, there's still upgrades to R23/64 bit coming in. Even that seems finite, though (and I probably really...really...really...need a new career.) I digress - mostly everyone is looking to leverage Orch/Rest to integrate their systems, and how to boost the performance as such, and I can't stress this enough - this is a moving target issue. I may have been asked to get an orchestration with 37 components (2 UBE's and a flat file) down to under 20 seconds... and I just scatch my head. There's a very big gap in what people expect out of E1 and what the cost of that is, but genuinely... No Virginia, your half gig AIS instance pointed to your shared DV JAS server at 1024 can't support 50 orch calls per minute magically. Wow, I went on a tangent! :)

Yes, there's a cost with AWS, but having your own instance out there seems like the best bet to be up to date. I do not work for Autodeploy, mind you. Though if you have access to downloads, you can just probably set up your own AWS instance the same way with some beefy all in one 9.2.7.x box you can turn on and off.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents... any effort to learn is a good one, but it does help to sort of try and wrap your head around whatever future is left.

I come in peace! :)

1) Demo 9.2.0.0, at this point, is like saying you installed 8.0 compared to 9.2.7.x. The changes between objects and core are that dramatic. For starters, there was no such thing as Orchestrator in 9.2.0.0, and don't get me started on 64 bit, simplified webdev, WLS versions rife with security holes, thousand of object changes in UN7.... it's a pretty stark difference. They added the Release 22/23 part for a reason (as wacky as it is.)

I haven't tried to get 9.2.0.0 demo to a newer tools, it just seems like it would be rough to upgrade (you'd need a lot of RAM as well and plenty of elbow grease.)

2) Windows 2022 certification should be out any minute now. Its been on a slide for like 4 months, but I will say they're working overtime on eliminating the Deployment Server and basically de-C-ing CNC (anyway read that platform statement of direction lately? Homogenous platforms!)

3) The benefit of an AWS system as sold allows you to play with the more pertinent tools customers are looking for. While the number of net news is down to like, unicorn status, there's still upgrades to R23/64 bit coming in. Even that seems finite, though (and I probably really...really...really...need a new career.) I digress - mostly everyone is looking to leverage Orch/Rest to integrate their systems, and how to boost the performance as such, and I can't stress this enough - this is a moving target issue. I may have been asked to get an orchestration with 37 components (2 UBE's and a flat file) down to under 20 seconds... and I just scatch my head. There's a very big gap in what people expect out of E1 and what the cost of that is, but genuinely... No Virginia, your half gig AIS instance pointed to your shared DV JAS server at 1024 can't support 50 orch calls per minute magically. Wow, I went on a tangent! :)

Yes, there's a cost with AWS, but having your own instance out there seems like the best bet to be up to date. I do not work for Autodeploy, mind you. Though if you have access to downloads, you can just probably set up your own AWS instance the same way with some beefy all in one 9.2.7.x box you can turn on and off.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents... any effort to learn is a good one, but it does help to sort of try and wrap your head around whatever future is left.
ha TFZ I appreciate coming in peace. :)....yes I realize 9.2.0.0 is light years behind say 9.2.7.1 feature wise (especially for CNC) which is the TR I am working with-but DEMO 9.2.0.0 was just a exercise and chance to look at base and play with apps-a colleague asked so I did it for her. I am trying to configure on a FULL E1 instance with 9.2.7.1. Having sooooo much fun configuring agents with JMX, opening ports Windows Defender locks down.. and trying to find out which command lines given in Oracle Doc Ids work when different doc ids and manual conflict with one another for example on adding JAVA_OPTIONS for TLS in startWebLogic.cmd. It is also an issue trying to install the Weblogic AdminServer as a service--so far I have tried two scripts and neither works...and yes capacity can be a major issue--I only have 32 gigs shared across 3 vms (Dep Svr Web Svr Ent Svr) but this is a lab test instance only. I fear I will have to double that to 64 gigs if I want to build full pks and try running TCs or UBEs. Thanks for your comments.

Ok this is random but classic and noteworthy: Weblogic Admin Server thinks it is running on Windows Server 2016 instead of what it is running on Windows Server 2022 - maybe because of the JDK release level? Any ideas?

Attachments

• Weblogic thinks it is on WinSvr 2016 when its WinSvr2022.PNG
    Weblogic thinks it is on WinSvr 2016 when its WinSvr2022.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 8
Ok ya'll Windows Defender on Windows Server 2022: been playing with it all day: I have disabled or opened up Defender every which way I can incl group policy and removing it as a feature and some programs or process(es) are STILL blocking most ports on my servers including 14502 (the default start port for mgmt agent) which is why the agent can't talk to the mgmt console. grrrrrr. Any ideas?

I remember now that configuring (working around) Windows security with 9.1.4.7 when I did a full instance install a few years ago was a pretty big hassle then. :). telnet machine name port (that I added a rule for) still not connecting to mgmt console from client. Grr.

Back