Hardware Specifications for EnterpriseOne 9.0

mmateus

Hi All,

I'm not sure if the topic has been discussed or not (I couldn't find anything on JDEList) so I do apologize up front if I'm wasting your time.

We are currently running an All-In-One setup of E9.0 on and IBM i 720 using 4 cores/processors and 64GB of memory. We have around 60 concurrent users at the moment but we are adding an additional 240 users to the mix when we move our main branch from Xe to E9. We have additional memory (128GB) not allocated to the IBM i partition at the moment but will add it when we go live as we don't want to give it all to the exisiting 60 users in case they complain of performance when we put on the other 240 users.

We use mainly batch processing to process journals and reports as well as inquiries on trial balances, etc on a daily basis and we only use the financial modules; GL, AR, AP, some Procurement/Purchasing and Inventory.

With all that in mind, what equivalent windows platform (2008 R2 and SQL 2008) specifications are you using for the same or similar setup described above.

I initially suggested that we have the following but I think that they may be either too excessive or perhaps insufficient:
Deployment Server: 1x 1Core/Processor with 4GB of memory
Enterprise/Logic Server: 1x 4 Core/Processor with 64GB of memory
Database Server: 1x 4 Core/Processor with 64GB of memory
Web Servers (WAS): 2x 4 Core/Processor with 64GB of memory each (4GB for each JVM @ 64-bit and memory for OS) and multiple JVMs for each geographical location)

My knowledge of performance and hardware specifications on a Windows platform is very limited.

I hope it makes sense.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Misael

Well I've sized 100's of systems and here are the key things to note:

1. Only very select IBM and JDE business partners have access to the confidential sizing information
2. IBM does this activity for free
3. If you have 128 GB of RAM and 4 cores active then I can put a man on Mars using your system.

If you're going to compare AS400 and Intel......well don't. What you have to comapre is the SLA, reliability, uptime, redundancy, etc. and then the cost.

If you really want to compare then have an IBM Premier Partner who is also a JDe partner and has the 'value add for System i" do the sizing and plannign as a paid engagement.

Alternatively you can get the free version from IBM direct by going to the following web site:

http://www.ibm.com/solutions/oracle/us/en/landing/C811216R95686F50.html

To me this looks like a useless comparison as it looks like you already have the AS400 ihouse and it looks way oversized already.

Please check to see how many cores you actually have active. 4 cores come in the CEC but with that few users it's hard to imagine that they all would be active.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thank you very much for the useful information. I will attempt to send that man to Mars then
grin.gif
. You're preaching to the choir regarding the SLA, reliability, uptime and all the good things known about the IBM i.

Unfortunately preaching to folks that think the IBM i is very expensive and that the Windows platform along with Microsoft SQL is the best thing since the internet is very difficult. I have shown the folks here one ITG report after another about how the IBM i platform costs less than the other platforms over a 3 year period but they still want the proof that Windows is more expensive.

Hence why I would just like a feel for what type of sizing would be required for a Windows setup like the one described. It's merely an exercise to get the sizing of the hardware required and then putting that "Martian to bed" so to speak.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Misael

Hi Misael,

Your hardware vendor can do a proper server sizing for you . Check out the below doc on the support site. Page 10 of the document lists the server sizing link and contact for different vendors.

Sizing System Hardware for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne [ID 748339.1] (The document is quite dated , so I am also including links for HP and IBM JDE sizing)

HP JDE Sizing

IBM JDE Sizing

But at the end of the day you know better than anyone else what your organization's SLA , uptime and operating procedures and requirements are, so do not let the vendor mandate the architecture of the system but use their expertise in determining the appropriate hardware needed to make the system perform well for the defined workload.

If you are a heavy on batch jobs with a high concurrency I would definitely recommend splitting your UBE & BSFN processing on to separate servers so as to not affect BSFN processing which would in turn affect end user interactive performance.

Hi Ice-Cube,

Thank you very much for information and links.

Much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Misael

Back