Handling free form text messages in EDI

JMast

Reputable Poster
All,

I am posting this in both Developer and Applications forumns since both groups may have input.

We are doing EDI with several trading partners and our process is set up to be automatic with minimal validation by Customer Service.

However, we have a new trading partner that wants to be able to send and receive free form text messages on the incoming PO and outgoing invoice. I would like to hear opinions, war stories, processes etc...

- Do many trading partners use text messages on POs and invoices?
- How do you do handle 256 character messages in JDE since the F4714 & F4715 limit to only 60 characters?
- Do you have someone read the messages before or the created attachments after the order is placed?
- Have you refused to send/receive messages?

It looks to me that we would have to put a manual step between loading the EDI tables (R47002C) and creating the Sales Orders (R47011) just to look for and handle text messages before the order is placed.

It seems like there should be no need for text messages since POs should conform to the agreed upon process. In the rare event of an exception, an email or phone call explanation should handle it. If not, it seems like the PO could be faxed or emailed instead of EDI.

We are trying to decide what our ongoing policy will be for text messages, so any insight you can provide would be great even if it is to tell me to shut up and deal with it!

Thanks,

Jer

Text attachements in EDI use table F4714 and some customers do use them.
You should no difficulty to populate and recover the details in this
table.

Guy Robert
Syntax.Net

Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I just don't want our customer service people to have to spend time looking for text messages. Especially, if the customer sends 200 POs but only 1 has a text message. Having a customer service person look at 200 orders trying to find any text messages so they can enter the SO with the correct information is not pleasing.

Any tips you have on when/how we should have someone read the messages would be great.

Jer

Back