Handling free form text messages in EDI

JMast

Reputable Poster
All,

I am posting this in both Developer and Applications forumns since both groups may have input.

We are doing EDI with several trading partners and our process is set up to be automatic with minimal validation by Customer Service.

However, we have a new trading partner that wants to be able to send and receive free form text messages on the 850 and 810. I would like to hear opinions, war stories, processes etc...

- Do many trading partners use text messages on 850s and 810s?
- How do you do handle 256 character messages in JDE since the F4714 & F4715 limit to only 60 characters?
- Do you have someone read the messages before or the created attachments after the order is placed?
- Have you refused to send/receive messages?

It looks to me that we would have to put a manual step between loading the EDI tables (R47002C) and creating the Sales Orders (R47011) just to look for and handle text messages before the order is placed.

It seems like there should be no need for text messages since POs should conform to the agreed upon process. In the rare event of an exception, an email or phone call explanation should handle it. If not, it seems like the PO could be faxed or emailed instead of EDI.

We are trying to decide what our ongoing policy will be for text messages, so any insight you can provide would be great even if it is to tell me to shut up and deal with it!

Thanks,

Jer

Howdy! F4714 and 15 can handle more than 60 characters. you just add more lines (F4714/15 .LINS = line number counter) against to same EDCT, EDOC, (EDLN)

F4714/15 is the way to go...
/Aarto

Aarto,

Thanks for the quick reply. Two questions:
1. Does the R47002C automatically parse a long text message into multiple lines in the F4714? Are they each an individual attachment on the SO Header or does the R5647011 put them all into 1 attachment?

2. At what point in your process do you have someone review the text messages? After the F4714 is loaded but before the SO is created or after the SO is created?

Thanks again for your reply.

Jer

Howdy!

Yes, on inbound orders, the parsing is done automatically (split into new line every 60 characters)

We made a "pre-processor" at one customer site to override next status codes (NXTR) if F47012 if records were found in F4714 or F4715. By forcing a different next status, sales admin could see which orders should be looked at

Hope this helps
/Aarto

Aarto,

That is a good suggestion. I am going to look into finding the best place to "set those orders aside" for someone to look at later.

Thanks for the idea.

Jer

Back