Globally using upper case

lessardj

Well Known Member
Is there any way to set Xe to globally require upper case entries? We want to use this to standardize the data for QBE and other searches.

I know we can set fields to upper in DD, which seems like a lot of work. It looks like we can also do this at the form level, but, if I'm not mistaken, this would be a mod that we'd have to maintain.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

Xe, SP 15.1, Update 2, ES=AS/400 V4R5, CO=AS/400, Deployment=AS/400 INS Card, Thick & Citrix Clients

Hi Judy,

Had you considered this need enough well?
Isn't it too big price for standardized QBE, losing lower case letters (e.g. in all names, addresses, descriptions, etc.)?

Have you considered to use a case-insensitive database engine instead of your case-sensitive?

On the other hand, not too hard to guess what field to update whith wich value in which records in which table if you investigate a bit your Data Dictionary application with FDA and your Data Dictionary tables with UTB. To make the update is easy as well in a custom APPL or UBE as with using other database access (e.g. SQL or Access, etc.).

Yes, it is a mod that you have to maintain, but it is easy to re-run the perviously mentioned APPL, UBE or script after ESUs and before Pack Build and deploy when they affects Data Dictionary too.

I greatly do not recommend this solution and I am not totally sure that losing lower case letters won't violate with the original OW applications somewhere.

My suggestion is to look for an alternate solution as changing the database engine or for particular solutions which makes your QBE usable at the most important places.

Regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi Judy,

Some other consideration.
What do you want to do with your old data? How do you want to convert them into capitals?
OK, maybe you start with an empty database but in this case how do you want to handle the data which is shipped with OneWorld?
Think about Data Dictionary tables, Object Librarian tables, UDCs, etc. etc. etc.
If you do not convert the strings in these tables then you won't be able to search on these fields (e.g. on names, descriptions, etc.), to be more precise, you can search but won't get a hit.
If you convert them then it could be very dangerous. Think about Business Function names that are used in C codes where C language is case-sensitive!!!!!!!!!

If you decribe your real problem a bit detailed, maybe you can get some useful hint on the List/Forum.

Regards,
Zoltán

Thank you for your feedback. In regard to our legacy data, we are just now
implementing Xe, (go live in about 2 weeks on Financials,) and are
converting our files from native AS/400, which we are loading already in all
caps.

The question arises because the implementation team felt it was too
cumbersome to have to key case-correct data on the QBE lines for a search.
Some also felt the standardization would be good. Others don't like to see
all upper case in, say, address lables other printed documents. The
questions they asked me to answer were 1) could I make QBE searches not
case-sensitive and 2) how much work it would be to make all grid data upper
case if I could not set the QBE function in that manner. I think #1 would
be our ideal if there is a way to do this without mods and/or lots of work.

Thanks again, for your help.

Xe, SP 15.1, Update 2, ES=AS/400 V4R5, CO=AS/400, Deployment=AS/400 INS Card, Thick & Citrix Clients

Re: RE: Globally using upper case

Hi Judy,

As far as I know the case-sensitivity of QBE doesn't depends on OneWorld but do on your database engine (e.g. SQL, Oracle, DB2, etc.) and its settings if it is possible for it at all.

If I am right (I am just a developer, not a CNC guy), you can set this behaviour in SQL, Oracle is case-sensitive and do not remeber what about AS400.

Regards,
Zoltán

Back