General Ledger Versus Job Cost

beckket

Hi All,

Looking for benefits of using the Job Cost module, as opposed to using the General Ledger, and creating accounts at a detail level of 8 or 9 to meet my more detail reporting requirement needs, where one of those requirements is NOT Profit Recognition.

In other words, why create a Job Master Record, via P51006, as opposed to P0006 and create accounts via P51091, as opposed to P0006/P0901?

Thanks,

Had a client who looked at job cost module and decided to simply set up
business units in GL.

Found that job costing was suitable for long term projects eg Building a
hotel over a number of years.

Job cost offers the ability to run a UBE to calculate Percentage completions
and profit to date, but you don't require this ability!!!

Job cost swaps around the object and subsidary in importance.
Subsidary becomes cost code and object becomes cost type.
There is a nice Job inquiry screen P51200.
And that's about it.

As you don't want profit recognition I would stick with GL.

If you are in a true "job" situation, the GL will not (out of the box) do cost to complete calculations. Also, you get more category codes for costing buckets, so you don't have to use the account categroy codes. When you set up GL accounts for jobs, they remain available (unless you go in after) long after the job is over. You can use different ledger types to capture what if scenarios, and prepare better and more accurate reserve analysis using job cost vs GL.
Let me know if you need more.

Hi, found this old thread. It seems closely related to me. I am in junction right now.
Basically all of the finance report are designed based on G/L.
So, may I know what is the advantage of job cost let Subsidary becomes cost code and object becomes cost type?
I still can't find any benefit, as maybe my company do not need to calculate percentage completion and profit to date in the system?

Wish to hear from all of you. Thanks.

Back