E9.2 Garbage characters related to cache

Soumen

Soumen

Reputable Poster
Dear List,

We recently had some reported complaints about users seeing garbage characters on the front end screen (as shown below). We noticed the issue just a couple of times with some random users on IE, not in chrome. Also once we had the user clear the browser cache /or restart the machine, the garbage characters went away.

But wondering what could be casuing this? Anyone else have seen this before or know the cause?

We recently upgraded to 9.2.5.3 Tools and are still on 32-bit. Not sure the new tools is causing something.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

JDE Garbage Characters.png

It's most likely related to your Tools update. I haven't seen this specifically, but I've seen other weird behaviour after an update that's fixed with a simple ctrl-F5.
I believe the general recommendation after updating Tools is to clear browser cache.

We are seeing the same thing we recently upgraded to 9.2.5.3 have you been able to resolve this? I'm not finding anything on Oracle support.

@cncmiller - I opened a SR and they told me several customers have reported this on 9.2.5.3. As of now it is impacting only IE browser, rest all browsers work fine.
The workaround is to (a) have the machine restarted OR (b) open jde in a different tab, it only impacts the first tab.

@cncmiller - I opened a SR and they told me several customers have reported this on 9.2.5.3. As of now it is impacting only IE browser, rest all browsers work fine.
The workaround is to (a) have the machine restarted OR (b) open jde in a different tab, it only impacts the first tab.
Hi did you have any reply concerning this SR? We've got the same problem here within tools 9.2.5.2.
Regards

This issue is happening on TR 9.2.5.2 (Web only Pack) . Please clear IE cache it will fix this issue

Not sure it will be sufficient : a client who is in TR 9.2.5.2, it is happening on Chrome too. And only a reboot can manage this.

Can we have the call number on Oracle Support please, as we can argue it can also happen with other browsers

In our case this issue is happening with users on Chrome. Clearing the browser cache does not resolve the issue. were asking the users to restart their laptops and that would help. Oracle suggested the steps as attached which we are yet to try out, hope it helps some one here.

We are on E920 Release 22 (TR 9.2.6.1). facing this issue starting around 10 Jan 2023. Earlier suspect was the latest Windows or Acrobat update but not sure.

--NP

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 55
Hi @HuardFabien - You should open a SR on this. We are seeing this again poping up with several users and reboot usually fixes it. The more customers report this through SR the better.

Hi @HuardFabien - You should open a SR on this. We are seeing this again poping up with several users and reboot usually fixes it. The more customers report this through SR the better.
Yes I will, but I wanted to read the opened ticket anyway, it could be good to know it, as I can argue we are numerous to meet this problem.

We've been going through the same things with our clients. Oracle Doc 2803997.1 addresses the issue. Now, whether you like their solution or not is up to you.

Long-Term Solution:

Migrate from using IE for the E1 web client to using another web browser that is certified for E1. If Edge is being used for the E1 web client, and if Edge is running with IE Compatibility Mode enabled, then migrate to running Edge with IE Compatibility disabled.

NOTE:

Microsoft has announced it will be ending its support for Internet Explorer in the summer of 2022.

Oracle has not certified the E1 web client for running on Edge with IE Compatibility Mode enabled. And Oracle has no plans to do so.

Short-Term Workaround:

Until it is possible to discontinue using IE for the E1 web client, work around the issue by using something besides Acrobat or Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.

For example, for a computer running on Windows, the following steps can be used to configure the computer to always use Edge for viewing PDF files:
  1. Right click on any PDF file in the file system for the computer.
  2. Select "Open with->Choose another app".
  3. Select the "Always use this app to open .pdf files" checkbox.
  4. Double click on Microsoft Edge to select it.
  5. Reboot the computer.

That's not that don't like their solution, my problem happens on Chrome too, so the solution doesn't fit my needs.

I encountered this same issue with one user about 2 weeks prior to this comment post, running Chrome (current version as of the event). Our JDE installation is running on TR 9.2.5.6. I had the user do 2 things: 1) clear all (Chrome) browser cache AND 2) reboot their computer. These two operations resolved the issue and the user has not reported any repeat incidents. This issue was reported by only the one user on their computer, out of 50-some other users (all on separate computers) who log into JDE. We stopped use of IE as of our TR 9.2.5.6 upgrade.

First response : it finaly seems to be linked to Adobe Acrobat
Hi,

Oracle responded to our SR and asked us to clear a few Acrobat font related files from the temp folder of the user and then restart their laptop.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 92
Hi,

Oracle responded to our SR and asked us to clear a few Acrobat font related files from the temp folder of the user and then restart their laptop.
Same answer. The client made the deletes, we'll see if it is OK then.

Today, temp folders are recreated, and the problem occurred again...
Oracle says to contact Adobe...

Today, temp folders are recreated, and the problem occurred again...
Oracle says to contact Adobe...
:(..gonna be hard explaining this to the users. lucky for us, we have not yet had instance where the same user is impacted after clearing the files.

--NP

Back