Forecast Consumption

jculp

We have encountered a strange situation that I believe is due to a combination of circumstances but I can not fully explain & I’m hoping one of the great minds using this forum can help.

This situation revolves around Forecast Consumption of Sales Orders in the Time Series. The issue is that when MRP is run for the first working day of a fiscal period the Sales Orders for the last day of the previous fiscal period are included in the current fiscal period incorrectly but if the MRP is run for the second working day of the month the Forecast Consumption is correct. Example:
• Forecast for Fiscal July is 2644
• First Working Day of Fiscal July is 7/2
• Forecast is setup to be due on 7/2
• June Forecast Consumption Period ends on 6/29
• When MRP is run with 7/2 as Generation Date the Sales Orders for 6/29 show up in Past Due Bucket #2 (overstating the Forecast Consumption for Fiscal July)
• When MRP is run with 7/3 Generation Date the Sales Orders for 6/29 show up in Past Due Bucket #1 (correctly)

General Setup Info: We have our Forecast show on the first working day of the month & the Forecast Consumption Period set to the last working day of the month. We have the setup the application & R3483 to reflect the 2 Past Due Buckets necessary as well as the SKU’s in the Item Branch file with the Planning Fence Rule/Planning Fence set to H/999. The Inclusion Rules are setup to include the appropriate types & the Inclusion Rules are not changed between the two MRP Generation mentioned above.

I have searched the Knowledge Garden & not found any related SAR’s & I also have a call open to the Help Desk.

Any ideas?

Hi Jim,

There is a parameter in the processing option of R3483, Tab: Horizon, Past Due Periods, you know. Is it necessary for you to fix it to a value other than zero. Why do you set it 1 or 2?

I mean, you should set it zero, so that it doesn't include any supply/demand for prior periods. I suppose this will fix it.

You possibly already tried that. But this seems the solution.

Two thoughts:
If the sales orders for 6/29 are showing as past due, they must still be open. If so they must be satisfied from current demand.
How are your time time bucket parameters defined for your planning horiz on (# days, # weeks, # months)? If you are defining daily buckets with monthly forecasts you might be playing with a logical inconsistency, esp ecially if you are trying to use forecast consumption periods. Check th e item settings for the planning fence rule and the setting for process ing option 2 on the R3483 Forecasting tab.

Mike Shapiro, CFPIM, CIRM

-- jculp <[email protected]> wrote:
We have encountered a strange situation that I believe is due to a combi nation of circumstances but I can not fully explain & I=92m hoping one o f the great minds using this forum can help.

This situation revolves around Forecast Consumption of Sales Orders in t he Time Series. The issue is that when MRP is run for the first working day of a fiscal period the Sales Orders for the last day of the previous fiscal period are included in the current fiscal period incorrectly but if the MRP is run for the second working day of the month the Forecast Consumption is correct. Example:
=95 Forecast for Fiscal July is 2644
=95 First Working Day of Fiscal July is 7/2
=95 Forecast is setup to be due on 7/2
=95 June Forecast Consumption Period ends on 6/29
=95 When MRP is run with 7/2 as Generation Date the Sales Orders for 6/2 9 show up in Past Due Bucket #2 (overstating the Forecast Consumption fo r Fiscal July)
=95 When MRP is run with 7/3 Generation Date ! the Sales Orders for 6/29 show up in Past Due Bucket #1 (correctly)

General Setup Info: We have our Forecast show on the first working day o f the month & the Forecast Consumption Period set to the last working da y of the month. We have the setup the application & R3483 to reflect the 2 Past Due Buckets necessary as well as the SKU=92s in the Item Branch file with the Planning Fence Rule/Planning Fence set to H/999. The Inclu sion Rules are setup to include the appropriate types & the Inclusion Ru les are not changed between the two MRP Generation mentioned above.

I have searched the Knowledge Garden & not found any related SAR=92s & I also have a call open to the Help Desk.

Any ideas?
Jim Culp Johnson Outdoors XE SP21 Intel/Windows SQL jculp@johnsonoutdoor s.com

Ali,

Regarding why the Past Due Periods is set to two - per the JDE recomendations if you're using Forecast Consumption funtionality this should be set to two. This is one of the first things that JDE wanted to check when reviewing this issue.

Hi Jim,

After your response, I've checked the program and the manual again. There isn't any obligation for you to set past due bucket to 2, while using FC.

And I still insist on that you will find the solution, if you set it to "1" or zero. Because, when you set it 2, R3483 's scope contains the last due period. Thus, it contains the last working day of the prior period, and all activity on the day.

Anyone following this thread - FYI - JDE has opened a SAR & recognized the issue. SAR #8549364 has been assigned.

If others have the same situation you may want to alert your planners so they can react accordingly.

Back