file upload from web client

nkuebelbeck

nkuebelbeck

VIP Member
I need a way to load 60k+ records into a custom table for later processing using a ube. 60k is way past the allowed grid limit and doing it in batches of uploads through the grid doesn't seem to be a popular idea. I know I could use non jde methods to upload(sql, system etc). This is going to be a frequent thing for us which is why i'd like to use all jde tools and not require direct IT resources.

In my head I need a way to allow the user to upload a file(csv)to the server and then run table conversion to convert it to jde table data.

Is there a way to upload a file to the enterprise server from a web client for later processing from a table conversion UBE?

Is there another way to do what I've explained in JDE without non jde tools.

thanks

How about upload it as a media object file link? Have the UBE read from it from wherever the queue points to. On iSeries you can get to the network shares using QNTC.

Craig

We use shared directories. Both the user (Windows) and JDE (Unix) have access to the one directory (using CIF shares). The user drops the CSV file in the directory and then runs a UBE to load it.

PS: Security is applied to the share to limit access.

Last edited:
I need a way to load 60k+ records into a custom table for later processing using a ube. 60k is way past the allowed grid limit and doing it in batches of uploads through the grid doesn't seem to be a popular idea. I know I could use non jde methods to upload(sql, system etc). This is going to be a frequent thing for us which is why i'd like to use all jde tools and not require direct IT resources.

In my head I need a way to allow the user to upload a file(csv)to the server and then run table conversion to convert it to jde table data.

Is there a way to upload a file to the enterprise server from a web client for later processing from a table conversion UBE?

Is there another way to do what I've explained in JDE without non jde tools.

thanks

If you want to build a solution yourself take a look at B76B0220. This function will allow you to read the file one line at a time.

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate everyone sharing ideas. This is a great resource for JDE Professionals.

I believe there is an "official" way to upload a file from a Web client to a media object - not a hyperlink but upload the actual file so the user could select a file from their C drive for example. It involves setting up an FTP server on the JAS server and/or the E1 server or something like that. Basically if you had everything setup a user could select a file, upload it to a media object then you could grab it from the media object and do what ever processing you like.

We looked into it a while back for a project but ended up going in another direction but it may be worth looking into. We have several other processes that have been in place for years that are just like what you describe (select a file from an APPL, process it, etc). For those we have a process similar to what Peter described in that the selected file must reside on a server share that is accessible by the E1 server. To select the file I simply built a general purpose APPL "file explorer" that lets you navigate directories and select files, etc.

I believe there is an "official" way to upload a file from a Web client to a media object - not a hyperlink but upload the actual file so the user could select a file from their C drive for example. It involves setting up an FTP server on the JAS server and/or the E1 server or something like that. Basically if you had everything setup a user could select a file, upload it to a media object then you could grab it from the media object and do what ever processing you like.

That is what I was referring to. I call it a link because the F00165 record has the path to the actual file. I don't think you need to setup the FTP access if the web server is windows, it just uploads the file to the deployment server (or wherever your queues point).

Craig

Currently heading down the path of loading a file from a location/share where E1 server has access to. I've also got my CNC looking into the process to load the CSV directly to a work file type table and UBE to process.

That is what I was referring to. I call it a link because the F00165 record has the path to the actual file. I don't think you need to setup the FTP access if the web server is windows, it just uploads the file to the deployment server (or wherever your queues point).

Craig

Ok I misunderstood, I thought you meant just creating a hyperlink or url type media object - just a link/unc path to where the file resided on a share.

Not sure why we had to setup an FTP server on our JAS servers (our CNC group was working on all that setup), but when we looked into uploading files into media objects it seemed for some reason we had to go down that path. We are a Windows shop so maybe, strictly speaking, it wasn't necessary. Although I seem to recall that we wanted to setup a solution that was cross platform compatible since we might move to Linux for our JDE servers at some point so maybe that was why we were trying to setup the FTP server on our JAS servers.

Most of my suggestions are already up here but I can't see the Table Converter option listed. So I'll add that into the mix.

Although you also need a way to get the file up onto your server, right?

In the past I've just let people dump the file onto a shared location (between us and them) and then got them to run a TC to read the inbound file and off you go.

Also have you looked at the new AIS stuff? It's application based APIs hidden in an XML file along with the data. But seen as it's APPL based maybe there's a limit on the grid there too.

I think the struggle is the web server not running on the enterprise server. Which is where FTPing the file comes into play using media object. I haven't done any AIS yet. No use case. Though in the future I can think of a couple instances where it would come in useful. IMO AIS falls short because you can't do any BSFN or TableIO.

I'm currently planning on uploading a csv file for them. Then allow them to run UBE to convert the csv. read the csv in a ube using PTH value as a processing option. read/convert date using a couple bsfn's and skip the z table idea.

Last edited:
The enterprise server can access the deployment server (assuming that's where your media objects are stored). I'm assuming from your signature that you're on an iSeries. With proper security, NT shares can be accessed from the QNTC folder in the IFS.

Craig

Thanks craig. We've looked into it and our cnc stumbled on the authorization because our iseries isn't a member of the domain and qntc doesn't respect domain authentication. End up having to use local security and that's just not the AD way so it's frowned upon.

We used Filezilla to allow the user to drop the .csv file onto a server, then called a batch process from JDE to retrieve the file and drop it into the proper folder on the enterprise server. Then did normal table conversion processing.

Back