Faking a Visual Assist

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
All Forms Developers???

Here's something I fought before:
- Using DOCO, Pass the FC MCU & FC LITM and Return KCOO, DOCO, DCTO & LNID from a Custom Table.

The Custom Form contains the Header Columns:
- FC MCU
- FC LITM
- FC KCOO
- FC DOCO
- FC DCTO
- FC LNID

The Goal is to Flashlight (Visual Assist) on the DOC, and be able to Search/Select based on the Original Form's MCU/LITM against a Custom Table (The Custom table contains the above, bulleted, columns).

Since DOCO is not, already, tied to a Search & Select Form, there isn't a 'Flashlight' available to it. To get around the DOCO not having a Search/Select (flash light)I created a dummy Search/Select that immediately presses 'Cancel' in the Initialization Section. I then completed an Override on the DOCO to point to the 'Dummy' form. This action trips the 'Visual Assist' to occur on the Field.

I then created a Header Detail (actually a Power Form) that allowed me to pass-in the FC MCU and FC LITM and Return GC KCOO, GC DOCO, GC DCTO and GC LNID. In the FC DOCO's ER for "Visual Assist Button Clicked", I pointed to the Custom Header Detail Form...

WOW, things worked.... UGLY, but it worked.

I have to ask myself - is there a more elegant way to have done this?

Well, is there a more elegant way to have completed this task?

Rules, as I experienced them:
- In order to have a Visual Assist, the Control has to have a Search/Select tied to it (User the Form Control's Override to define one)
- You cannot pass Header Values into a Search and Select Form
- You can pass Header Values into Header/Detail and Power Forms
- You can Call the Header/Detail or Power Form in the "Visual Assist Button Clicked" ER Event for that Object

Thoughts??? How could this have been 'prettier'? I'm sure I missed something?

(db)

db,

You don't need the dummy visual assist form per say. In the Overrides of the DOCO FC, specifiy an existing S&S. That gets you the visual assist icon. In the Visual Assist Button Clicked event of the DOCO FC, call the Suppress Default Visual Assist Form system function. Now just do a Form Interconnect to your desired form.

You can pass whatever you want from form A and populate filter FCs on form B in the dialog is initialized event. Then populate the FI's with the GCs on the way back during the Select Button Clicked and you can send all the columns you want back to form A and load the FCs there.

Am I understanding your requirement?

Craig

Thanks Craig,

You understood - Perfectly!

I've embedded the "Suppress Default Visual Assist Form" system function, and a little snippet of internal documentation =D

Much cleaner than having to Cancel the Search/Select as it started...

Thank you!

(db)

Back